O N E: I N N O C E N CE

The Kimi family was a nice humble family. They cooked and shared food,helped the poor and donated food. Food. Right food. Food is supposed to be factory animals,not helpless pets. Right? Perhaps I'm the only one in the Kimi family who thinks so. 

I don't remember when the anger started. Like a forest fire, with no beginning and no forseeable end. But no one saw the fire. No one smelt the smoke.

And that's how I want it to stay.

Seeing my cousins butchering dogs like nothing triggered something. Like a small spark next to a dying cigarette in the forest. And one day I finally snapped.

When I saw one of their butcherings I ran to their bathroom and threw up. My throat burning like my rage I feel. I look around at the bathroom I'm at. Toilet,sink,soap, and shower. They dont deserve this, they deserve to die.

Then I shook my head. No, No these are my cousins! How could I think of such a thing? I took a deep breath and turned on the sink. The water flowed from the faucet as I slurped it into my mouth and swished around then spat it out. The vomit reeked and I watched it as it went spun around and finally flushed. My breathing returned to normal but I feel as my heart has changed.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered all the innocent souls lost in this horror house. It made me angry. I had a connection to these dogs and cats and maybe dogs and cats everywhere. I never owned a dog or cat but she felt as if it was my duty to protect them and serve them justice.

Protecting and serving seemed hard to do in a country like China, especially in Harbin where police dont care about anything. Kid missing? I'll do it after my coffee break. Dogs being tortured and made into meat for consumption? Oh I ordered my dog 2 days ago must come in today.

I could picture it in my minds eye. A sharp knife to end the lives of the wicked. We cant depend on God to do all the work now can we? I smiled without knowing and I didn't care. I heard footsteps coming near the bathroom and I quickly wiped my crazed smile away.

"Xiao are you okay?" I heard my cousin named Zaing say in a concerning way on the other side of the door. My family called me 'Xiao' for short since Xiaolian is a long name. In the past I would've smiled at their voice and happily answered yes. Although its different now and hearing her voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

"Yes I'm fine" I replied through gritted teeth. The fire of rage being fanned by her voice. "I'm feeling kind of sick I think I'm going to go home.." I wasn't lying, I was feeling sick and I wanted to go home.

"Are you sure? Me and Shang were about to roast up the dogs and-" I felt sick again

" I said..!" I took a deep breath trying to reclaim my calmness. "I said I dont feel good so I'm going home, go along and make lunch for everyone else I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer." I could tell that Zaing wanted me to stay regardless so I held my breath and watched the door.

"Okay be safe when you leave.." She stayed there for a few seconds then walked away and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I washed my hands then walked out the door of the bathroom. I walked to the living room where I had put my purse and grabbed it. My breathing was nervous and I was scared to be stopped by anyone. Luckily i raced towards the door and walked out.