TWENTY-TWO

Peter's POV:

I sat up. There weren't any wire connecting to me except for a single on for my heart monitor.

I began to breathe rapidly. The beeps began to increase in consistency. I tried to calm myself down. I tried to remember what had happened.

The cave. The explosion. The heat. Hydra. June.

I gave a gasp and the beeps went down to the normal heart rate. I looked around. I was still in the Hydra base. They must not know I got my memories back because I wasn't restrained. I glanced in the reflection of the metal table next to me.

Even through the distorted image, I could see faint smudged scars on my face, parts that were slightly lighter than my normal skin tone. I wonder what surgeries I went through to get my face to a some what normal state.

I looked down at my hand. It was the same. Some splotches of different skin tones, with small blurred scars from the surgeries I assume. How did I not notice before?

I kept my calm. I knew if I broke out into a panic attack, they doctors would come and I didn't want any interference. Every time I thought about preventing a panic attack, the more venerable I felt to it. I distracted myself to think about June.

She managed to reach to me when I was trying to reach her. Hydra wanted her for some reason. They must be coming to get me, a rescue mission.

I didn't know how I felt about that.

I tried to remember the feeling without memories. Helplessly falling into the lies of Hydra.

I remembered the brightly coloured mental photographs with my family, turn to a dull grey.

My family gone just like dust. It felt blank. Sharp, empty, dazed.

Is this how Bucky and June felt?

As I felt the emotions coming back into me, I decided to choose the most perfect memory of Mr. Stark and cling to it.

I choose this certain moment because in that moment he was the person I wanted to be, I could've been, had it not been for Thanos. In the snapshot, his unwarped personality was something so golden and sacred I wanted to keep forever. But nothing's forever.

I wanted to play it out like a movie, over and over, but even with movies there's an end. That we can't control. I felt myself going out of control with my emotions again. I felt helpless again.

To make things worse, a loud, blaring noise entered my ears. The intruder alarm.

---

June fiddled with the hood that was covering her headpiece. She looked down as she walked into the building she recognised as the Hydra base. It was a Cancer Research building according to the public.

She walked up to reception. "Hello, I'm Olivia Anderson, here as representative for Stark Industries to give the donation to Cancer Research?"

The receptionist looked up at her in suspicion. As the lady took a while to reply, June notice her go to press a button un the table. June leaned forward and thrusted her arm forward to her forehead. The purple mist disappeared just as it appeared.

The lady slumped sideways. June looked around to check if anyone saw. No one was reacting so she used the same hand to adjust the position of her head to make it look normal and took her clearance badge.

June quickly hurried through the front desk past the fake rooms then to the elevator where she used the first level clearance of the receptionist to get to the second floor.