Chapter 3

"I'm not leaving. Okay? I'm here, it's okay." Namjoon says, his voice so gentle it's almost a whisper.

"Okay." Seokjin breaths out. He hears some shuffling on the other side of the phone.

"Jin, are you still there?"  Namjoon asks as the shuffling on continues. 

"Yes", he replies and sniffles through uneven breaths. Then he hears something like keys jiggling and then the sound of a door being shut. 

"Jin?"

"Yes?" He hears Namjoon walk, steps hurried. 

"I'm gonna have to hang up okay? Just for a minute and then I'm gonna call back and you're gonna pick up okay?" Namjoon asks in a hurry. 

Seokjin wipes away his tears only for new ones to take their place and whispers, "Okay." 

"Promise me you'll pick up."  

"I promise." Seokjin replies, unsure whether he'll be able to keep his promise or not.

"Alright. I'll talk to you soon." 

"Okay." Seokjin says and then he hears the beeping on the other side of the line and lowers down his phone. On shaky legs he finally stands up and stares at the device in his hand.

He starts walking again, having absolutely no idea where he's going. He thinks about what just happened. 

Namjoon sounded so calm and gentle and patient. Something about his voice seemed to be made out of warmth. Made Seokjin tell him things he never thought he'd say out loud. 

The silence around him is deafening now. Something at the back of his mind tells him Namjoon hung up because he knew Seokjin was a goner.

He probably sounded dead to him already. Well, part of him, no, whole of him knows he's far gone. 

Walking aimlessly again he clutches his phone in his hand. He passes a 24-hour diner, it's light almost making him squint. 

He wonders if Namjoon is going to call him again. Part of him is almost praying he does. Part of him is saying he probably already has forgotten about him. He thinks tomorrow Namjoon will wake up and tell his friends about how some weird depressed loner had accidentally called him in the middle of the night, rambling on about nothing. They'll have a good laugh about it and forget all about it in a matter of seconds. 

Before he can think any further his phone rings. The shrilling sound sounds too loud in the silence. Seokjin's heart picks up it's pace for no apparent reason. Yet again, with shaking fingers he picks up. "Hello?"

"Yeah Seokjin it's me Namjoon."  He hears. Seokjin can hear him breathing a bit quickly and loudly. And it sounds like he's driving or maybe it's just Seokjin's mind being loud. "Jin?" he asks hastily.

"Yeah? I'm-I'm here." 

"Listen. You have to tell me where you are okay?" Seokjin blinks. He's too tired to question why Namjoon is asking and why he seems like he's in such a hurry all the sudden. 

"I'm-I don't know. In the streets. There's a few houses to my right. And street signs ahead." He explains the best he can.

"Did you pass by some sort of diner or something?" Seokjin's heart beats fast. Is Namjoon...around? How does he know? 

 "I did." He replies slowly. 

"Okay great. I need you to come there. It won't be too far."