✣ chapter eight ✣

As weeks passed, Flynd and I became increasingly tense with one another. As always, he was impatient with my apparent Nechi cultural ineptitude. But now, I was also irritated with him.

Since the incident with Sir Lorcan, he'd become overbearing and tried to control my every move. He didn't want me to have my dance lessons in the Hall where Sir Lorcan could pounce, he didn't want me to wander the corridors alone, he didn't even want me to go to the Banquet unless I stayed by his side the entire time.

Obviously, his demands were outrageous, but it was gradually chafing my patience. When would he realize I would never become the demure, obedient wife who acquiesced to his every command?

My ladies-in-waiting were kind enough to endure my rants as they prepared me for the morning.

"He's very obsessive," Ailis noted as she inspected the deep clover gown she'd outfitted me in. "He didn't seem that way before."

"Until Sir Lorcan entered the picture," Blanyr pointed out.

I outstretched my arms so Ailis could check the seams on my dress. "I don't know what to do. It's driving me mad."

After Ailis was satisfied with my clothing, Blanyr entreated me to sit in front of my vanity, so she could fix my hair. "What do you think I should do, Blanyr?"

The curly-haired woman tittered. "Don't ask me, I just run away from my problems." When she noticed my confused expression, Blanyr continued. "The only reason I became a lady in waiting was to escape my family."

Ailis' eyes widened in excitement. She'd clearly heard this story before. "They wished for her to marry a count. But she didn't want to, so she had herself inducted as a lady-in-waiting."

"The count was known to be a cruel man," Blanyr furthered. "He had abused his wife before she died."

"And your parents let you leave?" I asked in astonishment. "Like that?"

Blanyr snorted as she set her brush down. "I didn't give them a chance. My parents are part of a rich, agricultural family from the countryside—far away from Witylt. I don't think they even know where I am."

"And, even if they did know, it wouldn't matter because the ladies-in-waiting of King Renyld's court are required to remain unmarried and chaste, "Ailis said. "They wouldn't be able to make her marry regardless."

It seemed strange that King Renyld only wanted virgin women in his court. And even though I was afraid to hear the reasoning behind this mandate, my curiosity was too strong to leave unsated. "Why?"

Blanyr, who was trying to figure out what to do with my hair, sighed. "He insists it's because he wants pure women working in the castle. But it's really because he wants us to be...available to the leering noblemen who attend his banquets and dinners."

Of course, King Renyld would be the one to try and cater to the wandering eyes of his company. He was a people-pleaser, always trying to satisfy everyone. Always trying to gain favor that he could wield for his benefit later. He was on no one's side except his own. "That's disgusting..." I spat, my stomach churning in repulsion.

Blanyr shrugged. "Ailis and I are lucky. We've never had to do anything with it."

"During the dinners, we work in the kitchens," Ailis added. "Because the noblemen never go there."

"My problems pale in comparison to that."

"No, they don't. You were married against your will." Blanyr blurted.

We all froze, watching each other uncomfortably. "No, it's not always ideal." I said.

Blanyr's voice lowered as she apologized, "I'm sorry, Your Highness. I shouldn't have said that."