nine.

- O L I V I A -

Remus and Sirius were watching me closely, the pressure of their stares making me incredibly nervous. "Don't get discouraged," Sirius said comfortingly, "a Patronus is an incredibly difficult form of magic. You aren't meant to get it perfect on the first try."

Remus nodded. "Maybe we should call it a day and try again tomorrow," he suggested.

I shook my head defiantly, determined to get it right. So far, I had managed to produce small amounts of a silvery shield, but nothing that would protect me from a horde of Dementors. "One more time," I insisted despite the fact that I was incredibly exhausted.

"Only one more," Sirius said cautiously.

I took a deep breath and raised my wand. I attempted to focus my mind on my happiest memories, an image of myself alongside the Weasley family at the dinner table at the Burrow. Everyone was smiling, and I finally felt like I belonged. "Expecto Patronum!" I said confidently.

A stream of silver mist rose from the tip of my wand, curling up into the air. Unlike before, the mist didn't cease almost immediately, continuing to grow. A faint form began to take shape, growing brighter as I tried to remain focused.

"Yes!" I heard them cheer behind me.

"That's it," Remus exclaimed.

But I tried not to allow their excitement to distract me. I kept my eyes trained on the air in front of me, watching the form as it moulded into a large bird, a bird of prey.

I heard Sirius gasp, "a falcon!"

I smiled triumphantly. I had finally done it. After a whole morning's worth of work, I had conjured a full Patronus.

Through the satisfaction, a wave of exhaustion came over me and I fell back onto the couch. Immediately, they both rushed to my side. "Are you alright?" Remus asked.

I nodded, "just a bit drained."

They both looked at each other. "Perhaps this crash course style of learning wasn't the best idea," Sirius said, sounding worried.

"No," I persisted, "I'll be fine."

Remus raised an eyebrow, but he didn't question it any further. "That Patronus was incredible," he said, his eyes bright, "Producing a fully formed Patronus within a day is practically unheard of. You're doing an excellent job." He was beaming, clearly proud not only of me, but also of his teaching.

A racket of noise carried up from downstairs, Mrs. Weasley's voice echoing in the entryway. "Finally, boys! I've been worried sick!"

I grinned to myself, knowing that she was speaking to Fred, George, and Ron. "Mum," George's voice whined, "We've only been to Diagon Alley!"

Since the boys had recently passed that Apparition exams, they had taken to traveling for short day trips around the country, mostly to Diagon Alley, the Burrow, and occasionally to Hogsmeade to visit Zonko's, much to their mum's dismay. "I don't care! It's dangerous out there," She huffed.

Remus and Sirius were both smiling. "Reminds me of Mrs. Potter," Sirius chuckled. Remus nodded his agreement.

"Dinner!" Mrs. Weasley shouted up the stairs.

Remus extended a hand to me, "let's go get you something to eat, and then you can rest up a bit." I grabbed it and he helped me up.

On the way down the stairs, we passed by Fred and George, who were stashing away their purchases in their bedroom, probably to hide them from Molly. "Ollie!" Fred chimed, quickly snapping the bedroom door shut.