Chapter Seven

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗
ace of hearts

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗ace of hearts

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

Ronin and Grian found themselves getting used to the harsh training, and eventually, their stamina was improved and they could train without becoming exhausted midway through.

Glas was the first one to adjust to it, but everyone sort of expected that. Alexander was slower, especially with the combat-related things. He seemed to have no knowledge of different types of swords and combat styles, which resulted in him having to train an extra two hours every day.

It was a week into training when Heirsa returned to check on the freshly drafted troupes, and he planned to tell his siblings about his plans to marry.

"My brother, you keep yourself as quite a stranger here." Ronin said in greeting after seeing Heirsa.

The three stood outside, near one of the training yards. The snow had started falling in swift, small flecks from the pale sky on an icy wind. The soldiers were instructed to wear a cloak when the days became blustery, which they did, but the poor weather made training all the more unbearable.

"Yes well, Her Majesty keeps me quite preoccupied with the other army quadrants," Heirsa answered.

Grian smiled lightly. "That's no excuse not to visit us," she said. "This place is dreadful but talking to you once in a while lifts our spirits,"

"I've only come now to check on the level of progress of the new soldiers," Heirsa replied, his heartbeat quickening at the thought of how they might react to the news he had to share. "I'm extremely busy with the preparations."

"Preparations for what?" Grian asked.

"The wedding," Heirsa responded. "The Queen's younger sister and I are to be married in two weeks time."

Grian and Ronin stood silent for a moment.

"The Queen's sister?" Ronin repeated. "Why on earth would you marry the Queen's sister?"

Heirsa bit the inside of his lip as he considered how to answer. "It is my obligation to fill the position as Lord over her small province, as her husband has recently passed away. The Queen requires us to marry." He said.

"That despicable woman is forcing you to marry her sister!" Grian exclaimed in disbelief.

Heirsa didn't answer, he simply inhaled and tried to hard to put on an air that told his siblings that he was confident in his decision.

Ronin swallowed, his eyes thoughtful. "You don't love her," He said.

Heirsa stood quiet. "I have no other choice."