prologue

Tryouts had gone good. At least that's what Luke had thought, his dad on the other hand, scolded his son for the many things that he could've done differently. The blonde sighed as he made his way over to the locker rooms, his eyes glued to the ground. His mind was elsewhere as he slightly bumped into someone in front of him. Shooting his head up and brushing the fringe from his eyes, Luke quickly sputtered out and apology before stopping abruptly when his crystal blue eyes met those of Ashton Irwin.

"Watch where you're going, Princess, wouldn't want daddy to have to bail you out of trouble. Again," His shoulder length curls bounced as Ashton threw his head back in a laugh, mocking the blonde standing in front of him.

Luke sucked in a deep breath before brushing past Ashton and walking into the locker rooms without another word. He stripped from his wringing wet clothes and headed into the showers, excited to rid himself of the sweat that covered his body.

Luke stood there for a minute, letting the water run over his face as he thought about the events from earlier. Ashton has always hated Luke so naturally, the two were enemies. Always competing to be the top student and always trying to be the best on the field. But it had recently gotten a lot worse, considering it was senior year, both boys were wanting the spot as team captain and would stop at nothing to win the title. Even if it meant sabotaging the other.

So when Luke exited the shower and his locker had been rid of his clothes, there was no doubt in his mind that it was Ashton's doing. The blonde tied a white towel around his waist tightly before marching out on the field barefoot and red faced.

Ashton and his friends were near home base tossing Luke's bag back and forth while laughing. The group of friends stopped immediately when the noticed Luke's appearance, stifling their laughs at his half naked body.

"Ashton give me my fucking clothes back and quit acting like a child," Luke's voice sounded strained and tired. The same way the blonde was feeling after his bad tryout. Luke wanted nothing more than to throw on some shorts and drive himself home in time for dinner.

"Why don't you make me, Hemmings?" Ashton had a playful glint in his eyes that made Luke's blood boil. The tall blonde lurched toward tackling Ashton onto the ground in attempt to grasp his duffel bag.

Their teammates reacted almost immediately picking sides and screaming at the two seniors on the field, clearly filled with adrenaline. The moment Ashton got Luke pinned underneath him, he was ripped off of the younger boy and put on his own two feet.

"What the hell is going on here?" Coach Irwin held his sons shirt tightly in his hand to keep Ashton in place as Mr. Hemmings helped Luke off of the ground. Both boys remained silent, not knowing what to say to him. "I'm not going to tell you two again, Neither of you will be captain of you can't start behaving," The boys' eyes shot wide open as they stared Coach Irwin in his eyes, unable to find any hint of teasing.

"Coach, I want this position so bad, I was just trying to get my bag back that Ashton stole!" Ashton's father glared at his eldest son before turning back to the frantic blonde.

"I'll make you a deal, You both have a shot at being captain on the first game of the season. But until then, you two will be co-captains at every practice and event until you can learn to get along,"

And that's how Luke remembered the worst two months of his senior year starting.

here's the prologue! Sorry if it's kind of bad, I rushed to post this bc I am SO excited about this story.