Walking A Tightrope

Hey guys! Before each chapter, I'm going to give a little info as background. Just like a couple sentences though. If I use this font, then it's an author's note. Just italics is a flashback, and just bold are song lyrics for future reference. Also, I'm sorry if the format is weird, I'm using my iPad to work on this one, maybe all of them, depending.

This one is a songfic based off of the song 'Tightrope' from The Greatest Showman. Villain Varian is used cuz he's in jail after the events of Season one so prepare for some angst.

Long ago, in the small village of Old Corona, a young girl sat at her window and traced the increasing number of water droplets with her finger from across the glass. Her (e/c) eyes were half closed as she was stuck in a daydream.

"Oh Snow, what am I going to do?" The small white fox glanced up at the girl with uninterested eyes like always. She saw her sight become glossy as the memories of that day reappeared in her mind.

"(Y/N)... I need you to leave in case something goes wrong. I'm not going to lose you along the way in a failed attempt to save my father," the fourteen-year-old boy said as he glanced at his childhood friend. His blue eyes looked into hers and a soft smile spread across his freckled face. His black hair seemed a bit messier than usual from the stress and his blue streak seemed especially bright today.

He may have been broken, but at least someone was on his side. The same person who has been on his side since they were both five. His best friend turned crush, (Y/N).

"No! I can't leave you, Varian! If something goes wrong then I'll be by your side to take part of the blame. Your sentence will only be worse if they think that this was a solo job. Kidnapping the queen was my idea anyway..." Her eyes glistened with tears and she was worried that Varian's stubbornness would somehow get the better of her.

He glanced over at the queen who couldn't see who the girl was. (Y/N)'s cloak covered her face and hair enough that her identity was unknown to anyone but Varian. She also couldn't hear the conversation from the other side of the room where she was chained.

"Please..." He gently grasped both of his partner's hands and pulled her a bit closer to him. "I'm confident, but I still want you to remain safe. I don't want anyone to know that you helped with this. If I get caught, if it makes you feel better, then you can try and find a way to get me out of the dungeon."

With a blush growing on (Y/N)'s face from the close proximity, she felt herself nod. "I'll do anything I can to protect you, Varian. You're the most important person in my life..." He also blushed in response and didn't notice that he had started leaning in slowly.

(Y/N)'s gaze flickered down to his mouth for a moment before she began to do the same. Their lips connected for only a second before Varian quickly pulled away with flushed cheeks.

"I-I'm so sorry! I-I don't know what came over me—!" He was silenced by another kiss from (Y/N), this one over just as fast because it was simply used to shut him up.

"Don't get caught or I'm punching you next time." She hugged him and ran out of the lab before he had any time to react. Either way, he stood frozen for a minute or two before calming down and laughing softly to himself.

"Until next time, Milady.."

Since then, (Y/N) had been searching for a way to get into the castle dungeon, then out with Varian. Without any trouble, which was much easier said than done. Now, her free time consisted of sitting in her room and sulking.