Chapter 1

A/n: I really hope everyone enjoys!!! I appreciate and love any feedback! ❤️

Warnings: Cursing, killing

Large italicized portions are a flashback

--------

Rain poured, drowning out everything around you like white noise.  Dark clothes soaking through to your core. Droplets dripped from the rim  of your hood, the cloth too full to take in anymore rain. It seeping  through and into your hair, dripping off the ends of loose strands.

Your breathing was calm, calculated, and unshakable.

A  finger tightened on a trigger while your eye focused through a scope.  At this point it was second nature. Tighten. Focus. Inhale. Exhale.  Shoot.

A shot pierced through the white noise. Voices of startled  henchmen rang out after the shot, their boss just gunned down before  their eyes. They were checking for a pulse when you pulled away from the  scope, swiftly packing up the sniper before throwing the bag over your  shoulder.

A burner phone was pulled from your pocket, a message  sent, then the phone was dropped. Your heel coming down on it, the  screen and cheap hardware smashing underneath it. With the message sent,  there was no need for it. Nothing to tie you to this scene anymore. So,  you left.

Eyes locked down. Inhale. Exhale.

While across the city a phone buzzed, a message reading two words.

'It's done.'

It wasn't ever supposed to be like this.

Gotham  for everyone is dark, dank, and dangerous. But for you, it was 10x  that. Your life now was killing, profit, and cleaning up the streets.  Not in the way of Batman and Robin, but in a way you found that worked.

You  hadn't always thought this way. At one time, you had faith in Batman  and Robin, when you were young and naive. Before you lost everything,  before you lost him.

Stopping in your tracks, your eyes  squeezed shut. A sharp inhale trying to bring you back to your senses,  back to control. Though your mind couldn't help but flash back to his  face, his dumb cocky smirk, and sparkling eyes. Yes, he was impulsive  and a little brash, but so were you.

It's why you worked. Why you loved. But also why you lost.

Jason his life. And you the love of your life.

The  rain trickled against the awning over you. The bench underneath was  hard and unforgiving, tucked in a long forgotten alleyway. It was a  common place for street kids. Thugs and older criminals typically stayed  away from it due to the Bat always watching over the area.

A  shiver ran down your spine, the trashed polyester blanket failing to  keep out the brisk Gotham cold. A knife was held tightly in your fist,  senses on high alert despite you being in a shallow sleep.

You were used to it. It was nature now, survival.

Silent footsteps echoed on the rooftop above you. Curious eyes stared down at your shivering figure under the awning.

A frown downcast on that same face those curious eyes came from. The footsteps retreated quickly before returning.

The  sound of light feet meeting the alleyway asphalt pulled you out of  sleep. An eye cracked open to see a figure looming over you. On reflex  you spun around and swiped the blade at the figure above you.