Chapter five - Compensation

Smithers' jaw hung slack as he took in the sight before him. More strained sounds came from his boss, and Smithers could tell he didn't sound to be in pain at all, rather ecstasy!

Jolting up, Mr. Burns caught sight of Smithers, and immediately yelped. Gloria moved off of him, and stumbled back in surprise. She turned to see a distraught and shocked Smithers, and started to clean herself up, exiting the room.

"Ah, Smithers . . ." Burns said. "I see you've returned early!"

"Y-yes, Sir."

"Well, back to work, then." Mr. Burns cleared his throat, motioning Smithers away.

Smithers turned, and exited the room, his face bright red. Although it was not evident to Mr. Burns, Smithers was hurt beyond words.

---

A clearing of the throat interrupted Smithers from his thoughts. He lulled his head upwards, turning red immediately when he noticed who was standing in front of him.

"Smithers . . ." Mr. Burns said. "I apologize for what you, erm, had to see there. If there's anything . . ."

"Nonsense Sir," Smithers smiled weakly. "If anything, I should be the one offering compensation. How rude of me it was to just burst in there like that. I hope you can forgive me."

"C-certainly, Smithers." Burns stuttered. Smithers' smile became slightly more genuine at this, and he returned to his paperwork without complaint.

It took a few moments for the truth to finally set in. Mr. Burns is sleeping with a woman! Someone that's . . .  not me. Of course, what should I expect from him? He is held to no standards when it comes to this! Smithers shook his head and tried to relieve the depression that was seeping into his body. The terrible feeling returned, but Smithers didn't resist.

"This is what I deserve, isn't it?"

A/N: I'm posting a bit shorter chapters, sorry. As always, thank you so much for reading!
-C

(Image credit: MissNeens, Deviant Art)