Each Face Tells a Story

"Faces always talk too much. One line and all their plans are revealed."

Floriano Martins

Maya's P.O.V

I walk down the hallway with Chris by my side. I try to avoid any type of contact with my fellow classmates. This is quite hard to manage since my hair likes to poof out and seem bigger than my head at the worst possible times. I look down at the light blue velvet scrunchie sitting on my right hand to make sure that it's there. I probably already should've known that it would be there since my sister laid it out with my light blue skirt, white polo, and my white FILAs.

I attempt to tie my hair up in a ponytail with my elbows in so that I do not hit anyone, but of course, I just had to bump into someone and that someone just happened to be Noah Adams, the most attractive and sympathetic popular kid that I kinda had a crush on.

"Hey. Are you okay?" he asked while helping me get back up. "Yeah, thanks", I mumbled while backing up. I turn around shyly and see that Chris was still walking down the hallway. Although I did notice that he hadn't gotten far, so he must've stopped and waited for me at some point, but then continued walking at a slower pace. I then rush over towards him. Once I reach him, I find him looking down at his shoes in shock. He turns around to face me. Now, I was the startled one. I was very surprised by the look he gave me. Usually, I could easily de-code his feelings by his facial expressions, but it was different now. I couldn't pinpoint what he felt, but it seemed like a mix of happy cheeks, sad eyes, and a sly grin combined with some longing and quite a bit of anger. It was a very strange look, the one he gave me.

Suddenly, a shock of embarrassment hit me, finally realizing that I had tripped in the hallway and had a light bruise forming on my arm. I brush myself off and look up at Chris. He was still looking at me with that weird look

Christopher's P.O.V

It seemed pretty simple. She tripped, he caught her, I waited. I only walked for a bit because it would seem awkward of me to be standing there staring at my best friend in another guy's arms. I couldn't control my emotions. I felt like snatching Amber away and holding her tight, keeping her all to myself. But I didn't do it. She probably wants this, so I'll let her have it. I'll let him have her for a quarter of a second. Just a quarter of a second.

Then it happened. At that same moment. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Did those jerks really just say that? To Maya? My hands curled up into fists and I swear, if I were close enough, I'd give that Noah guy and his friend a good makeover.

Once I saw her, I knew I couldn't tell her. Not now at least. 'It would break her' I thought. No, I knew. She looked up at me with an expression full of adrenaline. I definitely wasn't planning to be the one to ruin her day.

I realize that I've been staring at her for too long. I shake myself out of my trance. I manage a tiny smile and chuckle a bit to wear off the effect of whatever just happened.