Chapter 2 - Chocolate Is A Girl's Best Friend

A/N This is a sample from the first draft as it was available on Wattpad, please note that the release version, with new and previously unseen opening chapters, is now available for purchase.

"We've booked you a suite," William announced, depositing a floor plan on the coffee table between Conn and I. "Thank God you have seniority and a healthy bank balance," he laughed as he perched next to our Sire. "The Prince of Wales Suite isn't cheap, especially as we've booked the interconnecting Arlington Suite too." He looked at me, "We figured you'd appreciate the space rather than being forced into interconnecting bedrooms. We still wanted you in a self contained apartment though. It's the most secure option and it also comes with a vast range of complimentary services."

Conn was less than impressed by the expenditure, but then according to him he didn't need security, and certainly not me. "But why a Signature Suite? The smaller apartment you booked for the last pointless function would've done, surely? Couldn't you just book the additional bedroom which interconnected with the Green Park Suite I was in last time, like you did for Katie? This is three times bigger than necessary," he griped.

Unfortunately for William, our Sire hadn't moved past open irritation yet. I'd managed to progress on to a state of miserable resignation, and I hoped my Sire would do so too, sooner rather than later. If he grouched at me for the entire trip I'd stake him myself. Then again, we could use a good yelling match. Anything would be better than dancing around each other the way we had been since Ragnar announced I was Dunthryth, albeit in a new body.

William didn't seem inclined to ease Conn's transition from annoyance to acceptance either, or maybe he just knew me too well. "The reason, Sire, is because I don't want Darcy to do Ragnar's job for him. With the mood you're in, I fear you'll drive her to violence. Wouldn't you like some distance between her fist and your face?"

I snorted. Conn glared. Gunner chortled.

Personally I thought the apartment wasn't big enough, even if Conn slept in one suite and I slept in the other, interconnecting block of rooms. I would've been fine having the length of The Ritz between me and the object of my desire, especially as he was also the source of my continued irritation. That wouldn't help me protect him, however. From a security perspective we'd be safer together, and I didn't need Gunner to explain that. If we were honest we'd be 'safer' in adjacent rooms, but that would come with its own set of dangers.

The idea of staying in bedrooms with an interconnecting door set alarm bells ringing. It was just asking for trouble, which had probably been among William's considerations while arranging our accommodation.

Gunner laid a road atlas on top of the plan of the apartment, distracting me from my speculation. The head sentry had drawn a route on the map, and although we hadn't gone over it yet I knew he would've planned our journey down to the most miniscule detail. "This has already been programmed into your GPS," he told Conn, his tone serious. "Do not deviate. I want to know where you are at all times. You understand?"

Conn's irritation intensified, but he didn't get as far as reprimanding his lieutenant before I quipped. "Watch what you say. Have you forgotten who is Sire here?" My Irish-Geordie hybrid accent may not have been up to scratch, but Gunner choked as he tried to bite back a guffaw at my impersonation.

The look Conn gave me was one of utter disapproval, which I shrugged off. "It's laugh or cry, I choose to laugh." It was that or fall back on my usual method of coping by bringing out geeky quotations, and those would be lost on my Sire.

"Laugh all you want, but do you have to make me the butt of your jokes?" he demanded, scowling.

Excellent, I was getting to him. Guilt flared at that insensitive thought, but I ignored it. As immature as it was to purposefully nettle Conn, I lived for any reaction he gave me. I went on patrol because it made him nervous. I goaded him because it made him snap at me. Like an attention seeking teen I did whatever I could to make him notice me, because it hurt less than being ignored. It was pathetic, but we'd skirted around each other for weeks and I needed something, anything, to diffuse the ongoing tension. A night of unbridled passion might have been preferable, but an argument would suffice.