Ent. Jonathan Archer - Jefferies Tube Acoustics

You heaved yourself into the empty Jefferies tube, lugging your guitar with you. You'd been playing since you were a teenager, and ever since you joined the Enterprise crew you hadn't been playing as much as you had liked. Since you shared your quarters with another member of the crew, you never got to play there. You were so shy when it came to preforming.

But, you had recently discovered the amazing acoustics of the Jefferies tubes. Plus, barely anyone went there so they were the perfect spot for practicing.

You got comfortable in the fairly small area and settled the guitar in your lap. You picked the strings to make sure they were all in tune before you placed your fingers on the neck. You started to play the beginning of an old song—one from the twenty-first century.

"Oh no, see you walking 'round like it's a funeral," you sung, your voice echoing throughout the Jefferies tube. "Not so serious, girl; why those feet cold? We just getting started; don't you tiptoe, tiptoe."

You smiled, feeling yourself becoming instantly relaxed. Music had never failed to relax you in the past, even many people considered it a distraction. Your parents had always played music for you and ever since you were old enough to speak you had been singing.

"Waste time with a masterpiece, don't waste time with a masterpiece. You should be rolling with me, you should be rolling with me. You're a real-life fantasy, you're a real-life fantasy. But you're moving so carefully; let's start living dangerously."

"Wow," a voice said, making you jump and almost drop your guitar. You looked to the entrance of the Jefferies tube and saw Jon, watching you with a smile on his face.

"I-I'm sorry, Captain" you said quickly, your cheeks turning red. "I didn't realize you were going to be here. I was just leaving."

Jon raised his hand. "No, don't go. I wasn't planning on being here, to be honest."

You frowned in confusion.

"I saw you coming here with your guitar," he told you, rubbing the back of his neck. "I guess my curiosity got the better of me. I followed you."

Your cheeks burned. "Oh."

"You have a beautiful voice," he said, moving to sit near you. "Why did you never tell me you sang and played the guitar?"

You shrugged sheepishly. "It's not something I tell people. I guess it's kind of my hidden talent. I'm too nervous to play and sing for others. Barely anyone except my family knows I can sing."

Jon smiled softly. "Well, I think you're amazing at both. What was that song? I've never heard it."

"It's called Cake By The Ocean by an old twenty-first century band called DNCE," you told him. "I know," you said quickly at his expression, "very weird name."

He laughed. "You've got that right."

You smiled softly, looking down to your guitar.

"Don't stop on my account," Jon said with a soft smile. "I'll leave you to your singing."

He went to get up but you put your hand on his arm. "No. Stay."

He looked at you. "You sure?"

You nodded slightly. "I ... I could use the company."

Jon smiled as he settled back down. "I'd love to hear the rest of that song."