Chapter XXIV

Ruby's POV:

"How many times now Ruby?" I groaned in annoyance before muttering, "twenty-seven now." I could feel her frustration radiating off her as she asked once again, "How many times?" I finally sighed as I stopped to turn to her answering while looking down, "Twenty-seven time snow Miss Calavera." She looked down at me before sighing herself as she lead the way back to the mansion on the hillside. Rather than go the way I came in from we took the secret back door which lead into the cave where she kept a variety of things ranging from books, and valuables to weapons, and armor. "There's enemies out there that aren't going to fight fair Ruby. You need to learn that they'll attack you from anywhere at any given time." I rolled my eyes as I walked behind her before asking the same question I've asked many times before. "What person attacks another from a tree like some monkey?" She didn't look back at me as we walked through the cave to the doorway leading into the hallway where her armory was. "I've told you this many times before Ruby. Out here in the Caribbean there's many different tribes, lost civilizations, and no shortage of people looking to kill people like you, and I. You need to prepare to fight at any given time." Putting my weapons where I took them from I looked around while she changed into something lighter. As she was nearly finished I came across a book which brought back some the memories of living with Tai upon reading the cover. Pyrates of the Caribbean. "Coming Ruby?" Calavera asked while I flipped through the pages thinking over everything which lead to me staying here until I served my end of the bargain I made with her. "Ruby?" She called out as she walked around looking for me between the rooms. "In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto." —Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts. Those words still sat on my mind the longer I thought about it until I jumped when Maria put her hand on my shoulder startling me. "What's wrong?" She asked with more concern in her voice. Looking down at the book in my hand she gently took it from me asking, "What has you on edge Ruby?" Looking at the book I answered, "I took my copy of that book when (Y/n) got me off of Patch. I lost all my belongings that I managed to keep when that stupid order took him away from that asshole of a man he trusted as a brother." Handing it back she said, "I'm sorry for your lost, but I'm sure he'd tell you the same. You need to move on, and besides. We don't know what has become of him. He still may be alive, and well." I took the book before putting it back saying, "I sure hope so. No one deserves a fate like slavery. Death would be more fitting than a life of servitude in shackles, and chains." The atmosphere felt awkward as we stood there until someone called for Calavera from above catching us by surprise. "Let's head up shall we?" I nodded in agreement, and followed her up. As we got to the main room where a desk was set up along with a few large shelves she stopped, and turned to look back at me. "Take the day off Ruby. We can continue tomorrow." I nodded and began to walk out as a few men walked in carrying some charts, and boxes. As I walked through town I had a few occasional stares, but I paid no mind to them as I walked towards the coks where several ships were anchored, or moored. As I turned down the main road dividing the town I could see the man whose company I enjoyed since the day he arrived here. I didn't bother using my semblance to run down the run since last time I did that I nearly killed him via heart attack which may have directly angered him. "Hey Robert!" I said waving to him as I got close enough for him to notice. Raising his hand holding mug he replied, "Why hello there Ruby. What brings ya down here?" I sat on a chair next to his in front of the bar here on the main dock leading out into the bay. "I got the day off for now." He nodded off to me before looking back out into the bay at his ship. "What's bothering you?" I asked out of curiosity. He took a drink from his large mug before swallowing the contents to answer my question. "I have nothing against the lady up there training you Miss Rose, but I feel this secrecy isn't suited for me. I much prefer to sail out there, and do what I rather do now than sitting here doing nothing." Looking at his ship I could already tell what he was thinking. "You want to sail as a pirate once again don't you?" He looked at me nodding with a cheeky grin as he took another another drink. "I know that feeling myself, but I agreed to stay here in return she would help me find a friend that was taken away from me." I heard him begin to hum a shanty before asking, "Has she gotten any information to where he could be?" I looked down which soon caught the older man's attention which soon had his body turned in my direction. "A face like says a lot of things Miss Rose. She hasn't found much has she?" I shook my head no while rubbing my right arm before looking up at him. "All we know is the ship he was taken on was found, and sold at Nassau. She says she sent someone there to investigate it further, but she hasn't told me a thing for nearly a year now. I'm afraid to bring it back up with her since last time she was furious with me." I looked at him as he stared down me in shock, yet something felt off about him. As if he had a thought that might get me in more trouble, and I'd know a lot about having ideas like that. "Tell ye what Miss Rose. I'll try to convince her to allow me to sail out of here with you as company to learn the ropes of being part of her little guild here, and maybe try to find some information regarding your friend out there. In return for your combat expertise that you've learn you'll help me get back into piracy. What do ye say?" He finished with his hand extended. Thinking it over just for a small moment I took it with eagerness answering, "You got yourself a bargain!" As we let each other go he took his mug, and finished off his drink as the sun began to set over the mountains that shield us from everyone sailing around the Caribbean. "I best get going now. You know how she is when someone's late to one of her meetings up there." I gave a nervous chuckle as I replied to his comment. "Yeah...I saw how angry she can get first hand." Robert may be old, but the man had some energy in him to make anyone look upon him with envy as he began to walk off the dock to Calavera's large home up there. "Don't let her get to you Ruby. She may be scary at times, but she's a respectful woman nonetheless. Don't let her get in to your head."