Chapter V

"You thought you'd found a friend."
U2, Beautiful Day

DATE: JUNE 3RD 2:00 PM

"Should I run you through who's going to be around?" Natasha asks, as we speed down the motorway.

I shrug, "I suppose so."

"Well, ok then," Natasha says, indicating left, and slipping into the right lane, earning a disapproving tut from me. "There's Artemis, the Amazonian warrior, Bizarro, a Superman clone, Kori, who I think is a disgraced alien princess? All I know is that she's got some damn libido," she slaps her hand on the steering wheel. "Jason told me that when they first met, the second question she asked Roy, was if they wanted to sleep together!"

"Jason?" I query. I know I've heard the name before somewhere.

"I'll get there in a second," Natasha says, keeping her eyes on the road. "Then there's Roy Harper. The poor guy's had it tough; he was put in a freeze on his very first mission as Green Arrow's sidekick, and didn't come out until eight years later. Worst part is, he got replaced by a clone. Still doesn't stop his sex jokes, or his stupid attitude."

"Sounds like I'm going to be surrounded by a very diverse community," I say sarcastically, peering out of the window, with my eyebrows raised high.

"You have no idea," Natasha says grimly. "Then there's Jason. I gotta say, he's my favorite."

I look at her quizzically. "How so?"

"Well, he's had it bad," Natasha sighs. "He used to be Batman's sidekick, Robin, but... I don't have the clearance to tell you."

My eyebrows lower, and I turn to see Natasha looking quite flustered.

"I've said enough," she says hurriedly, "you packed your tooth brush?"

I frown at her. "Of course. What do you take me for?"

"Books? List them,"

"To Kill A Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Prisoners of Geography, The Book Thief, The Meaning of Liff, A History of Ukraine-"

"Alright, alright," Natasha says, effectively cutting me off. "Sorry, it's just I don't want to say anything Jason wouldn't want me to say."

"How old is he?" I ask, kind of curious about this Jason guy.

"Twenty in August, if my memory serves me correctly," Natasha replies, making a left turn towards Star City. She grins playfully, "Good thing you're eighteen. Maybe you'll get something going with him."

I think about for a second, at first musing over how absurd it is that she's shipping us before we've even met, then about the thing she's actually suggested. A relationship? Me? What on Earth is she on about?

So, to try and convince myself I don't need it, I blurt out the first thing that comes to my head. "Love is for children."

Natasha bursts out laughing, and I realize that, that isn't the best thing to say in a moving car. "Jeez, Shades, you make me die," she sighs, wiping a fake tear from her eye. "Don't quote the Avengers, I will crash the bloody car." She's snorting whilst she's saying all of this, making me wonder if I should ask her to pull over and catch her breath. But she keeps her cool, and manages to shake off her giggling. "Sorry, Shady," she says, taking a left turn, as we come closer to the city. "It's just... Hell, you sounded so much like me. You know," she says, stopping at some traffic lights. "I used to think the exact same thing. Before I met Bruce."

"Bruce Banner?" I question. I've heard her talk about him a couple of times. She'd always turn nostalgic then, making me slightly uncomfortable.

"We really had something going," she says, looking distant for a second. The lights go green, and she steps on the gas, suddenly not in the mood for conversation. Wisely, I decide not to pursue the topic.