Chapter 5

There was not another moment in the whole world that could get my heart racing like the few seconds before the bell rang and Winter would spin around and try to take off at a sprint towards whatever random jump was first in our course.

I kept his reins tight and my heart beat rapid, butterflies in my stomach giving my momentary doubt before finally the bell rang, and Winter whipped around on his hind feet, almost like some kind of high level dressage move.

He head immediately pulled forward and I squeezed hard onto the reins, my gloves adding the needed friction to keep him under control as we headed towards a hedge.

Winter eyed the hedge before deciding it was okay to jump, and he yanked his front feet up to his chin as he soared over it, leaving me along for the ride. The minute he landed he put himself in a fast canter, propelling himself up a gradually rising hill, where a few feet from the top was a simple log jump and a stretch of water.

The minute he saw the log his ears flicked forward with excitement and I half halted to keep his attention on me and the job. With a annoyed swish of his tail, he slowed down and then soared over the jump, splashing into the water on the other side. The cold water flicked upwards onto his belly and me as he cantered through the water- it was refreshing.

I gently see-sawed my reins to keep him from going too fast- slipping and falling in the slippery water would be a disaster. He slowed his canter until we finally jumped out of the water, heading towards a ditch. Though Winter knew better, he still overjumped the ditch with extra caution, sticking his head between his legs to keep an eye on the jump.

Well that will be an interesting shot for the photographer, I thought with faint amusement as I kept a light seat in the saddle, encouraging him to lengthen his stride over the dirt stretch through a small bit of woods where there weren't any jumps. He obliged willingly and quickly cantered through the woods, not paying any mind to the surroundings, mostly eager to get to some more jumps.

We left the small patch of woodland and the minute Winter saw the jumps ahead of us, he tried to yank the reins from my hands. "Quit that!" I snapped quietly, gently tugging on his mouth to slow him down now that we were back at the jumps. He snorted with boredom but slowed.

Despite us slowing, the jumps still came to us quickly. Winter soared over each one, refusing to touch them, and I gave him all the support he needed over the tricky corners and larger ditches. When we finished the course, I was delighted. I'd have to wait until the rest of the riders finished their course until we knew who won, but I could care less. Winter couldn't have preforrmed better than he did at this show.

Beverly walked over and patted his sweaty shoulder, before pulling her hand away and staring at the sweat inn mock disgust, then laughing. "I know I couldn't see half the course, but what I did see was spectacular. You should be so proud of the miracles you've down with this horse. It's a shame one as good as him was going to be in a can of dog food." She shook her head in shame. "I'll be at the dressage arena. Meet me there."

I pushed the sad thought away, not wanting to think about the other thoroughbreds that I was unable to save. I had just had an amazing course, and I didn't want my moment to be ruined. Winter  stretched his neck, shomping lazily on the bit, relaxed. "Let's go get you cooled down, baby boy," I said softly, dismounting and loosening his girth, before leading him back to the tent stalls to untack then take to the outdoor wash stalls.

I slipped the saddle off his back and rested it on the stand, then took off my protective vest, then slipped his bridle off and his nylon halter on, leading him from the barn to the wash stalls, where I cross tied him and began to gently shower his sweat covered coat with cool water.

He leaned against the cross ties and licked his lips happily, ears drooping calmly to the side. I turned the hose off and used my sweat scraper to remove the excess water, then clipped his lead rope onto his halter and dropping the cross ties, leading him from the wash stalls back to his stall, where I left him inside his stall to feast off his hay net.

He took a few gulps from the water bucket then went straight for the hay net. I smiled at him, nodded to one ov Beverly's adult clients who was untacking in her tent stall, then headed to the dressage arena to find Beverly.

"The results for your cross country will be up in about ten minutes," Beverly said to me when I arrived, not taking her eyes off the rider in the ring.

"How do you know?"

"I asked the announcer."

"Is this one of your clients?"

She shook her head. "No, it's some other trainer's rider." Beverly eyed me, then leaned over and whispered into my ear, "and she sucks really, really bad. Her horse is tense and she's tense and they look like two rocks hitting each other everytime they trot."

I giggled and turned to watch the rider, before nodding. "You're right..." I then lowered my voice and said, "And when they canter.. grr. Poor pony."

Beverly smirked, then watched as the rider left the ring. "This is my client," she said, nodding as a tall palomino warmblood trotted down the center, his rider moving in sync with her horse. "They've worked so hard to get to this point, and they still could improve, but I think after the last few riders-" she rolled her eyes, "-they could possibly win. And for her, that would be something beyond imaginable."

"Oh. So she has no.. self esteem?"

"I guess you could say that. She's not very confident. But instead of sitting here watching my client do their course, you should go see how you placed in the cross country phase! Run along now, Caroline," Beverly grinned.

"Fine,"  snorted with a roll of my eyes. "But I'll be back to harass you."

I walked away from the arena towards the cross country field's announcers stand. Suddenly, I was more nervous than I'd ever been before. What if I had placed horribly because I didn't let Winter have a lot of speed through the stretches?

Just as I arrived, the results were announced. "In first place, we have Mandy King on Sparkys Golden Gem. In second place, we have Caroline Brown on Northern Cross. In third place..."

So it wasn't a blue, but it was close enough. I walked up to get my red ribbon and grinned excitedly, clutching it happily in my hand, before speed walking back to the barn to show Northern Cross. Even if it wasn't a blue, we still stood a good chance at Grand Champion- and if not Grand Champion, then there was no doubt we'd be Reserve Champion.