2- New Tricks

Ellen leaned back in her new armchair, stretching her limbs for the first time in what appeared to be hours. The office was an oddity in the otherwise modern mental institution- wooden floorboards, wooden bookcases lining the just as wooden walls- it seemed out of place. A cobweb-ridden chandelier hovered a few feet or so above her head.

She had only taken Doctor Shaye's office that morning, and already she had filled it to the brim with her possessions- cardboard boxes filled with books,  an extra armchair in the corner, and her own books lining the bookcase that Shaye has emptied prior to his departure. The main desk she was sat at held no extra available space, due to the sheer amount of files strewn on top of it. Documents and written summaries all about Michael and Shaye's findings in the past fifteen years filled up the entire desk.

And yet, she could find nothing.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her door. Before she could even respond, the door opened and Barney stepped in, flashing her a smile. In return, she gave a curt nod.

"Alec always was into the old-fashioned stuff- he insisted he had his room like this. It was too expensive to deck out, so initially we refused; I woulda told him to pay for it himself, but that's just me." Barney told her, looking at the spines of the books on the bookcases. "Instead, Alec threatened to leave- one of the most respected psychiatrists in the surrounding states, we couldn't afford to lose him. So, we just curled up and let him have his... office."

"Is that what you came to tell me, Barney? I am kind of busy here..." Ellen explained, keeping the smile plastered on her face.

"And now he's gone, it's really damn weird to see you here." He continued. "The new girl, a new psychiatrist left to pick up whatever pieces are left. Don't take it the wrong way, it's not your fault." He walked over to her desk and looked at her documents. "Anything useful?"

"Not too much to go on, I'll be honest." She sighed. "But he hasn't uttered a single word in almost two decades- and it's not like anything's stopping him. He has no vocal issues, no mental barrier that we know of- he simply refuses to utter a single word. It's a miracle Doctor Shaye got anything from him."

"So, what's your battle plan?" He asked her. "You're gonna need something."

"I was thinking..." Hill said slowly. "Did Shaye ever try to... appeal to Michael's humanity?"

Barney scoffed. "Humanity? That guy? You did actually sit down with him today, right?"

"Yes, yes I did... and what if there's something down there? Behind the face void of emotion? What if Shaye was looking at it the wrong way, and instead of trying to treat Michael as a mentally deranged patient he should've been trying to treat him as a person?" Hill explained.

"I should've known you'd take the crazy route." Shepherd shook his head.

"You don't have much hope for me, do you Barney?" Ellen raised an eyebrow.

"Actually, I hold plenty of hope for you." Barney responded, folding his arms as though he was offended. "I just hold none for the mute in the padded cell you're treating."

"Still, it's worth a shot. Anything Shaye didn't try is bound to be worth it, right?" Ellen looked up at him. "If we can get any communication, I'd call this a success."

"If we get any communication, I'll make the suggestion to get you promoted immediately." Barney said. "But at this point, nothing's going to work, and you know it too."

"You're quite the pessimist, Barney." Ellen tilted her head.

"I'm just being realistic- you can't blame me for that." He responded.

"So, is that it? You came to check on me?"

"Yes... but also something else. For years, Michael's been held in the maximum security wing. Of course, an idea brought to us by Alec. We're moving him to standard treatment, effective... a few hours ago, actually." Barney told her. She frowned.

"Why?" She asked him.

"Higher ups didn't see too much risk in him- he unnerves people, sure, but he's murdered his sister and not much else. He hasn't tried escape, he hasn't been violent- now Shaye's gone, they're loosening up on him." Barney explained. "He'll be located in the East Wing, you'll see some signs for it a couple corridors down. Just a heads up." He began walking away, hands in his pockets. "Good luck with Myers tomorrow- you'll need it more than any of us."

He stepped out of the door, and Ellen sighed, returning to the plethora of documents lying on her desk.