Prologue

"Phew. This should do it."

I had finally finished my work for today. The ticking clock on the wall just above the door read 9 PM. I had to work overtime to make up for my absence for two days due to fever. I stretched my arms as a sign of fatigue. It was only natural, since I had been sitting here for hours, staring at the monitor while typing stuffs related to the administration of this office.

I looked around. There was no one to be seen. Everyone had already left the office at the usual time, 5 PM, since they did not the need to make up for anything. I envied them, to be honest.

"Alright, then. Time to wrap this up."

I clicked the 'Shut Down' button after making sure I had already saved the document properly. I could see the phrase 'Shutting down...' written on the monitor along with the circling icon. After a while, the computer finally shut down, leaving the reflection of my face on the monitor.

"Well, aren't I handsome?"

I muttered to myself while looking at my reflection. I also took the opportunity to fix my hair while doing so. Feeling enough, I decided to get up from my chair and grab my jacket. I was not the type to wear jacket outside, but the weather forced me to do so. After all, it's the beginning of the year, so it was only natural.

"Looks like it'll be another freezing night, I see. Brrr."

I acted as if I was freezing, pretending to shiver despite of my being in an air-conditioned room. Well, technically, I was about to go freezing, though. I even doubted if I could go home without my hands going numb.

I took a peek outside the window just three steps ahead from my desk, and confirmed that it was not raining snow.

"Well, at least it not snowy... yet."

I returned to my desk, and just noticed a note on my desk, saying 'Don't forget to lock the door and turn off the AC and give the key to the security -Your partner, Mikihito', and a key and remote for the air conditioner next to it.

"Huh. Thanks for the heads-up, man."

I picked up the key and looked around the office once again.

"Guess I'll just head home now."

After making sure everything was set, I turned off the air conditioner with the remote on my table, then headed to the door leading to the hallway and put back the remote to the wall next to the door and then got out of the room. I locked the door, and put the key to the office in my pocket.

Arriving at the silent, dark corridor of this 3-story office building, I headed to the nearest stairs that would take me to the ground floor from this top floor. They were only a few steps to the left of the door that led to the office.

"Man, it sure is lonely here at night..."

I said that while walking down each step of the stairs, and eventually I found myself on the ground floor. There was a man sitting in front of the main entrance just right of the stairs and a few steps forward. He was the security guard. He had the average build and wore a uniform with 'Security' and 'Itsuki' written on the upper right side of the chest part. He was in his late 30's, judging from his face, although I never asked how old he was directly.

"Another graveyard shift, I see."

I greeted him with a friendly tone to make it sound like I had no intention to do harm to him.