Answers

Aoife misses the strangled gasp that comes from somewhere between the woods, but Nolan does not. He swiftly turns around to the source of the sound but he sees nothing. He could have sworn that a girl had been there, but there is no one. Probably my paranoia getting to me, he thinks. He looks back to see Aoife looking at him, an array of expressions set upon her face, some of which he can decipher, and others he cannot. He has come too far down to back away now, and so, he continues to tell her though he treads with caution.

"It all started that night. Your mother had fallen ill. No one knows what had happened to her, just that she was ill, and getting worse by the day. At first, we thought she was just running a fever, but clearly, we were wrong. Your father would sit by her side all day as we hoped for her recovery, and it would be Aodhán or me who'd look after you."

"Aodhán? Your brother Aodhán? The same one who seems to hate me?"

"Yes. I do not think he liked it much, so it was mostly me. He does not hate you though. He was just at a loss when it came to showing it. He used to speak fondly of you. I guess it is just his way of protecting himself. Now let me finish, will you?" he says, pretending to be annoyed though the twinkle in his eye gives him away. Aoife only looks a little embarrassed and gestures for him to continue.

"Your father tried a lot many things and each time, your mother would seem to get better, but she would only end up worsening. None of us gave up hope though. I think we were all pulling through for you, since you were too young to realise what was happening. I do not think your father gave up hope either until that day when it all started.

Aodhán and mother were by your mother's bedside with uncle and I was out with you, trying to stop you from putting everything in your mouth when we all hear cries. At first, I was scared that I had somehow upset you, and you were the one crying, but it was not so. I still remember that day. My mother and uncle fought over something and then I remember her walking out of the house in anger with Aodhán trailing her. I too followed, and that is the last time we visited."

"So what really happened? What does the banshee have to do with this?"

"I cannot say for sure. You will have to ask your father someday, but this I know. Your father gave up hope on any recovery that day. He never trued to save your mother after that. He refused to seek help until the day she died, despite my mother's pleas to help her. All he said was that the banshee had cried and nothing more could be done for her. My mother still believes that she could have been saved if your father hadn't been so stubborn about not letting anyone help her. She blames her sister's death on your father, and I don't know if she will forgive him for it. Your mother was all she had after her parents, and I think it hurt all of us that his blind belief in a myth killed her."

"But how do you know it isn't true?"

"How do you know it is?"

"We all believe it, Nolan. Everyone in this town does. How can so many people believe in something false?"

Nolan lets out a heavy sigh. He runs a hand through his hair, something that makes him look younger to Aoife.

"I do not know dear. I must say, I am quite close to believing them myself. Sometimes I wonder if our family is said to disbelieve only because of our fear of the truth. Maybe mother thinks if we stop believing in them, they will somehow become false."

"I do not know what to think of it, but I know that not all of them are myth. It cannot be that way."

"I really do not understand what to make of it, Aoife. I do not know."

That is all that is said of the topic that day. Nolan spends the rest of the day with his sister. He knows neither his mother nor Aodhán will be happy and he knows it, though none of them have confronted him yet, which quite surprises him. Though she is much younger, he feels comforted with her presence, as though she is the one who is keeping him grounded after his experiences the previous night. He wants to be with her and ensure that they both reach home before sunset. Little does he know that she is not the one who needs to be protected from the legends.

The faerie spirits of the forest would do nothing to hasten the end of those doomed to die, but he does not know that, and so, as the day grows older, he takes her by the hand and leads her back through the way he came, towards home. He keeps looking back, as though expecting someone to show themselves in the woods, but it is subtle enough for Aoife to miss his cautionary glances. She looks back only once before she steps out of the woods with him as though she wants to say her farewells, but upon finding no one, she walks back with Nolan.

"Can I go with you to your house, Nolan? I think I would like to speak to Aunt Alma again."

Nolan pretends to think for a while. In reality, he has no qualms about letting her come over- the two of them would probably be more persuasive than one- but he wants to play around first. It has been long since anyone has been the object of his brotherly affections. Aodhán was never too fond of such displays anyway.

"Now why would I do that?"

"I do not know..."

"What if I said no?" He asks her with a sly smile.

"I suppose I will do something to make you agree," Aoife says cheekily.

"Oh? And what would it be, that would convince your dear brother?"

She leans in as if about to share a secret and says in a conspiratorial whisper, "If you help me, I will tell you about the girl in the forest."

"