21 | the ark

although there was a small section dedicated to the ark in my "the 100 timeline" chapter, i thought it would be important to incorporate more details because it's a complex ship.

STATIONS
( def: major sections of the ark )

GOVERNMENT & SCIENCE

the government & science station (also known as go-sci or simply 'the ring') is the huge circular thing you see in most overview shots of the ark. in season 5, this is where spacekru lives for 6 years. go-sci and the ark's other secondary ring stations rotate to create artificial gravity.

this station is home to most of the operational functions within the ark. the scenes with the council observing the delinquents in the beginning of season 1 are shot here.

MEDICAL

ark station medical, mostly referred to as just "medical," is located within go-sci. it's the place where injured people go for treatment.

— abby and jackson worked here

EARTH MONITORING

this is where the council members were able to check up on the delinquents. however, since the sky people were "earth blind" prior to the launch, it is unclear of what this room was used for before the criminals were sent down.

— sinclair worked here

AGRO

agro, also known as farm station, is the ark's main agricultural facility. this is where food was grown and livestock was raised (we can assume there was livestock because meat is seen in some flashbacks). this is also where moonshine was made and medicinal herbs were grown, leading to jasper and monty's arrests.

it survived project exodus at the end of season 1 and landed somewhere in azgeda territory. approximately 200 people survived the crash, but 2/3 of them were wiped out by azgeda.

— the jordan and green families, bryan, pike, kara cooper, and riley were from here

ALPHA

alpha (named phoenix in the books) is the main station of the ark that belonged to the united states. when polaris delayed docking during the formation of the ark, alpha station destroyed it as a lesson that dissent will not be tolerated. this is presumably where most of the privileged are from.

after project exodus, it crash-landed on earth and is the central building that is seen in camp jaha/arkadia in seasons 2–4. the station was significantly damaged in season 4 when illian set fire to it.

— the griffin, jaha, kane, and miller families were from here

ARROW

it's located at the end of the ark, away from go-sci, and is adjacent to mecha starion. little is known about its role.

FACTORY

this station (also called walden in the books) used recycled materials to manufacture items needed by the ark, hence its name. this is where the majority of the working/lower class population lived.

factory station landed roughly after project exodus, hitting a cliff that destroyed the exterior and left only one survivor, mel, whom bellamy rescued in season 2.

— the blakes, mel, and sterling were from here

HYDRO

little is known about this section, but its name suggests it has something to do with water. it is possible that it was where water was recycled and regenerated back into the ark.

hydro presumably survived the exodus landing because miller directed members of hydro to level 5 of the bunker.

MECHA

the ark's mechanical facilities were located on this sector. unknown to most, a 130-year-old escape pod was hidden here, which raven used to go to earth.

mecha and farm stations were the only ones without known casualties from the ark separation. the section was abandoned by the sky people in favor of living in alpha.

— raven and finn were from here

PRISON

also known as the skybox or lockup, prison station was where underaged criminals were kept until the council could review their crimes on their eighteenth birthdays and either have them pardoned or floated. not all of the criminals were sent down to the ground. however, it is unknown of what happened to the kids who remained in prison.

TESLA

tesla, aka power station, is where most of the electrical functioning happened on the ark. little is known about this sector other than it was significantly damaged after the unity day mutiny.

BOOKS VS SHOW

in the books written by kass morgan, the ark is called the colony and is made up of three main ships: arcadia, walden, and phoenix. it sustained the sky people in space for three hundred years instead of merely 97. since its currency was known as "ration credit", it can be assumed that the same thing was used in the show. the name of the camp in seasons 3-4, arkadia, is possibly a nod to the arcadia station in the books.

the depletion of oxygen in the colony is also different from that of the ark. in the books, the ship is actually old and is showing signs of wear and tear. meanwhile, jake griffin found an oxygen leak in the show. wells is the one who urges the council to send the delinquents down to the ground.

( sources: the show itself, the 100 fandom wiki, the 100 novel by kass morgan )

* note — i make frequent references to the book version of the ark in my fanfictions. if you've ever seen words or details you don't recognize, they are probably taken from there.