Chapter 1: Happy Birthday

"Although your diplomas are equally specific," The man standing before the podium looking out in the crowd began, "remember that you are all going out into the world as individuals."

Among the audience in attendance at this ceremony, Helen Thermopolis, now O'Connell sat with her husband Patrick and her youngest daughter Mia Thermopolis all three smiling happily as they watched the ceremony.

"I now proudly present the University of Oxford's graduating class of 2005" The Dean finished his speech and all the graduates stood to there feet and threw their caps into the air as the onlookers began to applaud. Among the graduating class was Katyana Renaldi, princess and soon to be queen of Genovia.

"Oh Honey I'm so proud of you," Helen exclaimed once Katya finally made her way over to them after the ceremony

"Oh Honey I'm so proud of you," Helen exclaimed once Katya finally made her way over to them after the ceremony. Helen pulled her daughter as close to her as her belly would allow and held her tightly.

"Thank you, mom." Katya reciprocated, wrapping her arms around her mother.

"Congratulations, Katya." Patrick smiled at her

Katya grinned cheekily, "Thanks, Pat."

"Kitty!" Mia cried happily, throwing her arms around her big sister, "Congratulations."

"Thanks," Katya grinned and hugged Mia back just as tightly, "congratulations yourself, graduate. So, when do you and Lily start at Berkley?"

"Our classes don't start until August."

"Oh, then you should come to visit for a while before you start classes."

Mia laughed, "I was actually planning a visit in a few days."

"Have you heard from Michael?" She asked, worrying her bottom lip. Katya hadn't spoken to Michael in several weeks, which was odd for the two of them, because they never went longer than a week without speaking to one another.

Mia Shrugged, "I haven't, no, but Lily said that he called her on graduation day to congratulate her."

Katya was able to speak with her family for a bit longer and tell all of her friends goodbye before Joe started leading her away.

Once they made it to the airport it didn't take much longer for them to get the plane going and take off, and then they were in the air on their way home.

Katya was sitting on the plane looking out the window as they made their way to Genovia.

She decided to pull out her diary to have something to occupy her time during the flight.

"Dear diary,

It's me, brand new college graduate/princess. Oh, I can't believe it's been four years since Grandma told me and Mia that we were princesses. Not too long after the ball, my mother surprised us by marrying our high school teacher, Patrick O 'Connell, and they are now expecting a baby. Mia and Lily are still as thick as thieves and are going to college at Berkley together in the fall."