Chapter 3: Surprise Visitors

The next morning Katya was informed that Lord Devereaux would be coming to stay in the castle with them and she would be required to greet him upon his arrival and was requested to dress accordingly.

Katya grudgingly did as she was requested and left her temporary chambers to meet Clarisse in the foyer. She was currently standing in front of the mirror trying to fix her hair when she heard her grandmother enter the room.

"The viscount is not staying, just the nephew. Joseph, I want you to protect him and keep your eye on him at all times."

Katya smiled as they entered the room, "Hello" then she did a little twirl, "so is this appropriate for greeting the Viscount and his nephew?"

Clarisse smiled, "Very appropriate. And pretty."

"When does Mia's flight land?" She asked curiously trying to get her mind off the situation at hand.

"She should be arriving later tonight."

Katya let out a sigh as she turned back to the mirror, "Whose idea was it to invite the guy that's trying to steal the throne to stay here with us at the palace?"

Clarisse joined her at the mirror, "It was my idea."

Katya looked at her grandmother, shocked, "What?"

"I offered to have him hung by his toes in our courtyard." Joe offered nonchalantly as he walked away.

Katya smirked, "I think I like Joe's suggestion better."

"No. If there's any mischief going on," Clarisse sat down, "I'd prefer it be right under my nose."

Katya frowned and leaned against the pillar, "I really don't want to be nice to this guy, grandma. He's probably rude, arrogant, and self-centered."

"How could you possible know that? Have you met him?" Clarisse questioned looking up at her granddaughter.

She scoffed, "No, but he probably is. Like, now, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he wants to be the king of Genovia? If he wanted to be king why not bring it up before now?"

"Oh, tush." Clarisse waived her off, "No matter how he acts, we will be our charming selves. We will present ourselves with grace and poise."

Katya sighed but nodded in agreement, "Yes of course, grandma."

"Announcing Viscount Mabrey and Lord Devereaux." They were announced.

Two men walked into the room and Katya's mouth dropped open at the sight of the youngest gentleman.

"Your Majesty." Lord Mabrey kissed the queen's hand and bowed to Katya, "Your Highness."

"Mabrey." Clarisse smiled at the older man.

"Ma'am, may I introduce my nephew, Lord Nicholas Devereaux." He motioned to the young man standing beside him.

Clarisse offered her hand to the young man, "Nicholas. We are delighted to make your acquaintance."