First Name Jesse, Last Name James

I hated them with every fiber of my being. My home and my neighbors, they were all gone. Destruction always licked the heels on the Union Forces wherever they went and they came here. Kearney, Missouri was just an ordinary town, filled with families, including mine. I clenched my fists turning my knuckles white.

The place I was born, raised, and waited in vain for my father's return. The place Frank and I played as kids, the place where I fired my first rifle, and the place where I fell in love. The Union soldiers hit us like waves upon a beach, and for what reason? They fought for someone else's cause, for someone else's battle, not that it mattered.  To them this was just another battlefield, another chance for them to fill their pockets for their victory.

They only existed to create shadows and ghosts out of people’s lives. I heard Frank's boots pound against the ashen ground well before I saw him.  He was only eighteen, but being a Confederate soldier had made him look much older. His face now looked tight and rugged. He had his rucksack slung over his shoulder, but this late afternoon he didn't sport his uniform. What was clear though was that he was leaving again and I was supposed to tell mother. "Jesse," just one word was all I needed for confirmation. Just my name was all it took for me to know my big brother was leaving.

"Where are you going this time?" My voice sounded tired and dry. He heaved a sigh and let his rucksack drop to the ground near his feet.

"Texas, Bill Anderson is recruiting there." Bill Anderson, also known as 'Bloody' Bill led a guerilla fighting force known as the Quantrill. They were a bunch of bloody thieves with no real cause. I raked a hand through my hair and cursed.

"Jesus, Frank! You’re just getting up and leaving to trade one gun for another! Pillaging never did anyone any good." His face grew sour,

"I don't need your blessin' Jess! And it's better than waiting around to get shot!" We faced each other at a standstill. He clicked his tongue and brushed past me, heading towards the tracks.

"Don't expect me to tell Ma!" I yelled at him.

"She'll figure out I'm gone eventually!" He tossed back over his shoulder. She probably wouldn't notice for a couple of weeks. With the house gone and four other children to worry about, it would take awhile. No one would notice, no one, but me. Frank and I were all each of us had.

After mom remarried and Sallie was born we became specks of dust on the window sill. I kicked some dirt and began walking through the dead streets of Kearney. I noticed her shadow almost immediately, creeping up behind me like the sunset. Her warm, gentle hand met mine in a fluid motion. I quickly snuck a glance at her. Zerelda Mimms golden curls shinned brilliantly against the setting sun. I pulled her down one of the roads that led to her house. It was too dangerous for her to be out while opposing soldiers were so close to each other.  Her grip tightened and pulled back in the opposite direction.  I stopped and looked at her curiously,

"I don't want to head home yet." She whined and I rolled my eyes in response while continuing down the dusty street.

"You can sit on your front step then." I told her simply. I could practically see the protest resting on her cherry lips.

"But, Jesse-" It died on her tongue quickly enough. I was far too tired to argue with her and undoubtedly she would win. Her shoulder bumped against mine and leaned against me. It was highly inappropriate, but comforting so I let her be.  I let her fingers slowly untangle from mine as we neared the gable roofed, three bay central block house. She turned towards me and placed each of her hands on each side of my head,

"It's going to be okay you know. I promise you Jesse James, it will be." She spoke sincerely and confidently. For the first time that day, I smiled.

**Tell me what ya think! Do't worry, I can take hard critisim. This is my first time writing from a guy's perspective so sugestions would be wonderful! Comment & Vote!!