16. The talk

The next morning, Hermione woke up with heavy eyes and an aching heart. She pushed those emotions aside, focusing on Olivia. Her anger towards Draco only intensified as they day passed by. The Boxing Day Blues had settled in, especially when Hermione began to pack away the Christmas decorations.

"Mommy?" Olivia asked, walking into the living room with her stocking.

"Yes sweetie?" Hermione replied as she made them sandwiches for lunch. Olivia was holding her stocking in her tiny fist.

"Can I keep dis in my woom?" She asked cutely. Hermione allowed a smile to grace her face and she nodded.

"I think that's doable. Go on and set it on your bed, then-" Hermione stopped cold when she heard the front door open then shut quietly. She clenched her jaw, giving Olivia a tiny nudge. She crouched down beside her. "Liv, go in your bedroom and color me a picture, okay?"

Olivia squinted at Hermione, before nodding. Silently, Hermione cast the muffliato charm as she busied herself with the food. She wasn't going to seek Draco out, not at the moment. However, she knew him well enough to know that he was a rather confrontational man about certain things.

Sure enough, not five minutes later he stalked into the kitchen. He was clean shaven and didn't appear the least bit hungover which angered Hermione. She began to chop vegetables rather violently.

"We need to talk." Draco said firmly. Hermione didn't even cast him a second glance, replying with a simple:

"So talk."

He would have flinched at her tone, but he was a Malfoy. If they had one talent, it was hiding emotions. Never being allowed to cry or laugh as a child prepared him for things such as confrontation.

"Last night was..." Draco paused, unsure of how to continue. He felt remorseful for his behavior, that much was obvious. He just didn't want to outright admit it. Hermione was the one who kept pushing him over the edge. He sighed, shuffling over to the table and taking a seat.

"Last night wasn't something I was proud of." He said finally. Hermione remained silent as she scooped the vegetables into a salad bowl.

"I'm not going to say that what I did was right, but Mione you need to know that I found out that my father had killed himself. Like or or not, I do not actually like dealing with grief head on. So I went out and got a bit wasted. I feel like it wasn't as bad as you made it seem."

At those words, Hermione had had enough. She closed her eyes, trying to hold her tongue from the vile things she could say. Taking a steadying breath, she began her rebuttal.

"Draco, you left me alone at the Ministry with Liv. You didn't tell me where you were going, you only disappeared for seven hours. Seven hours! Blaise had to carry your unconscious body here and I had to wake you up with cold water. Draco, you cannot just disappear and go get wasted. I don't give a damn if your father died. You need to grow up. That's what this class is about, it's it? Growing up and learning how to deal with life. Here in the real world, we don't remain stoic until we can get our hands on a few bottles of firewhisky. We face our problems like mature adults." Hermione spoke with both calmness and authority. Draco stared at her, scrutinizing her almost. The words he was about to say were heavy on his tongue, leaking coppery poison throughout his body.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, leaning his face into his palm. Hermione slid into the seat across from him, sympathy radiating from her features. She let out a tiny sigh and placed a delicate hand on his. He looked up at her and for the first time she saw something different in her eyes. She saw innocence.

"Draco, come on. You must be exhausted, go lie down. I'll bring you some tea after I feed Livia." Hermione said quietly. He stood up silently and moved to the doorway. Hermione was right behind him when he spun around, crushing his lips against hers.

There went the explosion of fireworks in the pit of both of their stomachs. Hermione reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck. She sighed into the kiss.

"Ew." A tiny voice giggled. The couple pulled apart to laugh at the young girl who was staring at them naively.

Draco turned to Hermione, pressing his forehead against hers.

"Am I forgiven?" He asked.

She let out a barking laugh. "Of course not!"

The next few days passed easily. Soon, it was New Years Eve. Ron and Lavender were having a huge New Years party that night at their home. Hermione was hesitant to go. The young brunette was not much of a party person. Usually during the Gryffindor parties, she sat in the corner with her books. Ron and Harry would probe her to join in the festivities, but she declined almost every time. Despite prior knowledge, Hermione liked solitude. Of course, she didn't enjoy being friendless and dull all of the time. She did enjoy to have fun when the time was right.

Draco persuaded her that New Years Eve was the perfect time. She agreed with him, though she scorned those who got hammered then scampered around London like a dolt. She had faint memories of those types of people outside her London home. Her parents, thankfully, shared her introverted mindset. They would stay up until midnight, watch the telly, then fall asleep and wake up the next day like normal.

Draco had different memories. He said that his parents would throw grand, pure blood balls. A few Slytherins his age would come to the parties and they would run around like little kids, until they aged. Then the more 'mature fun' would come about. That's how Draco worded it.

However, Hermione was currently waiting for Ginny. They were going to the town department store to look for a dress for Lavender and Ron's party. Hermione was content wearing a pair of jeans and a plaid shirt, but Ginny insisted that it was a formal affair. Reluctantly, she left Olivia with her father. Draco was quick to serve, still trying to get on her good side. Hermione hadn't totally forgiven him for the way he treated her those nights ago.

"Mione? Ginny's here." Draco said. Hermione shouldered her hand bag as she walked to meet the young red head. Ginny beamed at her best friend.

"Hello Gin." Hermione greeted kindly.

"Hi Mione! C'mon, let's all go get gorgeous." She laughed. Hermione and Ginny walked into the department store. They ran into Parvati and Padma Patil, who were undoubtedly searching for their own dresses. Ginny smiled politely as they wandered over to a dress section. She began to pile dress of all colors and textures into Hermione's unsuspecting arms. After ten minutes and a lot of complaining on Hermione's end, they went to the dressing rooms. It took five or so dresses for Ginny to find a gorgeous, off the shoulder green and ivory dress.

"Alright Mione, take your time." She reassured. Hermione slipped her sixth dress. It was a sky blue with three quarter length sleeves, a crème colored band around the front with a huge bow in the back, and it almost brushed against her knees. She stepped out, feeling self concious.

"Merlin." Ginny whispered, her brown eyes moving across Hermione's body.

"Like it?" She bit her lip, giving a tiny twirl.

"Mione, it's gorgeous. Draco's going to be knocked off his feet!" She exclaimed. A glint appeared in Hermione's eye.

"I hope so."