Chapter 1: Lumeo

Tarik was excited today. Yes he was always excited but on this day, three weeks after his 11th name day he was triple his excitement. The young eleven year old boy pulled on his shirt and made his way down stairs of the two story house. The top floor was more of the house while the lower floor was where the family business was ran.

He tripped over a rug and stumbled the rest of the way. His sister, LaReimaja, stared at him from her place near the door. His brothers and parents were both with her. Varian smiled at him "Glad to see you've suvived the stairs in once peace," he said.

Tarik blushed to himself out of embrassement. He was the clumsy one it was obvious from his nose that seemed squashed from the many falls he had taken down them over the years. Last week he had tripped over a ball that Remina had accidentally dropped. His tooth had chipped from that fall because of it. Varian had not dropped the joke because of it "Well I'm glad to see you've stopped wearing your mittens," he shot back.

Varian began to start speaking when their father cleared his throat sharply, it was obvious they were doing something wrong. It was time to leave for his ceremony.

Tarik followed after his family as they left the shop. The door locked firmly behind them. He couldn't wait for his name day ceremony. Tarik had always dreamed of being greencloak, the greatest heroes in all of Erdas. He wanted to be one of them, to travel Erdas and see the world. Yet based on what would happen today, this was his only chance to actually become one. If he summoned a spirit animal then Tarik could become a greencloak. If he didn't... Well Tarik didn't want to think about that because it would only be disappointing if he didn't. He smiled wider as they arrived at the event.

The market town was much different compared to other niloan towns, it was prosperful and many people came and went. The town was ready for a ceremony. The main townsfolk, those who lived in Caylif, were gathering for a summoning ceremony. There was two other kids seated on the bench, Ahmar was even one of the kids waiting for his turn. They weren't late but they weren't early. Tarik parted from his family as they took to stand in the crowd, he sat next to Ahmar "Aren't you excited?" He asked in a whisper.

The boy nodded but didn't speak. His attention went up to the grand stand. When Tarik followed his gaze, two greencloaks stood on the stage. One Tarik knew but the other wasn't familiar to him. Azaela smiled at the crowd "Welcome everyone, today these children will drink the nectar and possibly summon forth a spirit animal," she said. The trio of kids sitting on the bench as the first name was called but no animal was summoned. Ahmar went but no animal. Tarik felt a little doubt creep in, what if he didn't summon a spirit animal? His family didn't have any spirit animals much less a pet. It was a rare bond people formed so what gave him the chance of summoning an animal. He squashed the thought. He would summon a spirit animal because he wanted it more than the others. Tarik would longed for a bond with a life long partner, to put his trust in an animal just like they trusted him.

He stood when his name was called and as he walked towards the grandstand, Tarik made a silent plea even if it was to himself.

That if there was an animal deep inside of him, when he drank the nectar this animal would come out and become his best friend. That he would protect this animal just as it would protect him.

Tarik sipped the nectar. It tasted delicious, the sweet flavour of sun dried tomatoes. He smiled to himself as the warm feeling filled his chest. As he turned towards the crowd to step down the stage. There was a bright light in the area where the kids were waiting. His heart swelled with joy. Tarik had heard about it and seen a few summoning ceremonines when a spirit animal was summoned. The light of the unknown where spirit animals came from.

From the light for Tarik, out popped a tiny sleek... Otter. His mind was puzzled for a moment with two thoughts. First was, he lived in Nilo of all places why did he summon an otter? Followed by, I summoned a spirit animal!

Tarik stepped from the stage and touched the little animal. The other squeaked then but him. The boy held back a swear as he pulled back his hand, the tingles gone when he had touched the otter. Tarik gave his new friend a wary glance "I'm calling you Lumeo," he said. The greencloak stood next to him as the crowd began dispersing.

Once they got home the greencloak spoke "Hello, I am Mavil. If you grant it, I can take your son to Greenhaven and being training him to be a green cloak," Mavil said.

Tarik was excited, he really wanted to become one but his parents might not agree. After all he was supposed to take over the family business yet summoing a spirit animal and becoming a green cloak would make that difficult. However this was something he had always wanted to be! A greencloak, a helper of Erdas! How could he be a helper of Erdas when he was trapped inside a fabric shop all day and tripping over his own to feet?

That added another reason Tarik wouldn't make a great greencloak. He was clumsy, if anything he'd make it impossible to be a good greencloak. He looked at his spirit animal, Lumeo was rolling on the carpet. Well he stopped once he realized Tarik was staring at him. The boy picked up his otter "I'm going to take Lumeo to my room and get him a bed made," he said.

Nobody said a word as he left the room. Lumeo let out angry twitters and squeaks at being held in Tarik's arms.