:Chapter One:

*****

The door swings open and everybody walks in without uttering a single word. The only sound is that faint pattern of footsteps on the metal floor of the box. I keep close to Jayden, in case Derrick sees this as a good time to get back at me. After all, It kind of is an opritune time. There's at least twenty of us crowded into a pitch black room with no authority or set rules.  I'm not sure if he would get in trouble if he did kill me. Wouldn't matter to me either way; I'll be dead.

The room suddenly starts to move upward and everyone struggles to catch their balance. Where are we going? The ground was right there... I mentally groan as the room lifts higher, and then slowly etches to a stop. I let out a sigh of relief as do many others. Everyone waits quietly in the dark for something, anything to happen. Come on, what's next? My inner mind begs for some excitement but my body aches for sleep. The suspense is killing me ever so slowly and I don't mind admitting that even if I am about to die, I want to speed this up.

The wall in front of us starts to slide into the ground below with a deep grumble, slowly flooding the room with outside light. I cover my eyes with my arm and squint, determined to see what's out there. I catch a glimpse of a small black bird flying through the sky and grin widely. Outdoors, we're outdoors. As the wall slides further into the ground, it reveals tips of trees and far away mountains. I can't hold back a large smile at the sight that could easily be mistaken for freedom. But I'm no fool, there's no such thing as freedom; not for me at least. Everyone stares in awe at the bright, untouched trees and glossy, green fields. I spot a pond a few miles ahead and smile, breathing in the wave of fresh air filled to completion with fresh scents.

"Should we move?" I finally whisper to Jayden and he looks down at me and smiles, raising an eyebrow.

"You're in charge, you tell me angel." He whispers back and I give him a confused look.

"What do you mean 'I'm in charge'?" I whisper back, my eyes wide.

"You were picked first, so you're in charge. Unless you know someone better, which I doubt." He smirks and I frown, running a hand through my hair.

"Hanna seems like a good leader..." I mumble and he laughs lightly.

"No. You're in charge, come on angel, what do we do?" He nudges me with his elbow. I don't know... What do we do?

"I guess, uh, we leave." I shrug a little and push my way to the edge of the box, standing at the edge of the concrete floor, all but too aware of everyone's eyes that follow each move I make. Just one step and I'm out. I take a deep breath and look back at everyone; their eyes still trained on me.
"Alright guys... I think," I pause, swallowing hard and taking in another deep breath. "I think we're supposed to leave. If you're in my group, follow me." I force an awkward smile, then turn back to the ground in front of me and step outside with caution. As soon as I'm fully emersed in the fresh surrounding landscape, I pause for a second; letting my eyes wander as I takeeverything in.

In front of me is a grassy hill that leads to a cluster of healthy trees, to the right it is completely clear, and to the left is the spot I saw the pond. It doesn't take long for me to decide to go towards the pond; though I'm not quite sure why. I feel drawn to it in a weird way. Before I know what's happening my feet begin carrying me down the hill slowly without my permission, when I hear footsteps behind me I decide not to stop. Jayden walks up by my left and smiles at me.

"So where are we off to then, captain?" He says cheerfully and I flash him a smile, rolling my eyes.

"Ultimately our deaths, but right now that pond." I say and turn back in the direction I'm walking as he chuckles.