CHAPTER 28

Kara's POV

I wrapped a bandage on the last of mom's uncovered burns and kept away the first aid kit. I watched her as she slept in the bed.

Mom turned her head in the pillow and opened her eyes. She immediately sat up and looked down on her injuries and then she looked at me.

"Where am I?" she asked me in a panicking manner. I tried to calm her down but she stood up and started to walk to the door. I stopped her and made her face me.

"Mom, we're inside the house," I told her and her eyes widened in fear as she shook her head.

"N-no... We're not safe here, Kara. We need to escape from here. He's going to -"

"Mom, please calm down. We're safe here, okay? He's not going to hurt you," I cut her off and pulled her to sit back down on the bed and I sat beside her. She looked at me.

"We need to get out of here," she told me and I shook my head and pursed my lips.

"Mom... Can't you just... Talk with Dominic about this? He did nothing wrong to you," I asked her and she creased her forehead and gave me an incredulous look.

"What? He wants to hurt me, Kara! He wants to hurt you! Can't you still see that? He's going to put us in danger!" she exclaimed and held both of my hands. They were cold and trembling. She held my chin and made me look up at her.

"Please. You don't know what kind of creature he is. He's a monster," she said and I shook my head, tears falling down from my eyes.

"I know what he is, mom. And no, he's not a monster," I said and she gave me a puzzled look.

"You know about it? He showed you?" she asked me and I sobbed.

"He told me... He told me everything. Why did you do that to him?" I asked her and her eyes widened. I waited for an answer from her but she remained silent. Her hands started to ball into fists, her fingernails digging into my palms.

"No. H-he's making things up. He wants you to hate me, Kara. What he said isn't true. Don't believe in him, I'm your mother. I'm the one you should trust," she said and cupped my face and stared deep into my eyes. I felt uncomfortable woth her stare and I tried to pushed her away. A wave of fear rushed into me as she started to harshly grab me when I tried to pull away from her grip.

"M-mom, please let me go," I said and stood up and tried to leave. She clung onto my arm and looked up at me, desperately trying to pull me back down. Her fingernails were digging deep into my skin and it was starting to hurt me.

"No! Don't leave me. S-stay here, please, please stay with me. H-he's going to hurt me. H-he's going to kill me. Please, don't leave me," she begged and kneeled in front of me. I continued to pull away from her but she doesn't want to let me go. She sounds so frantic and like she's going insane.

"Don't leave me! He's a monster! A demon! You don't know what he looks like, you're going to go crazy once you see his true form! He's going to kill you! Believe me, please!" she shrieked and stood up to hug me. I pushed her off and tried to run for the door but she caught me, her sharp fingernails scratching against my arm. She grabbed a fistful of my hair and yanked my head backwards. I let out a squeal and she hugged me from behind and put her arms around my body.

"Stay here with me... I'm not going to hurt you, you're my baby," she whispered in my ear with a creepy voice which sent chills down my spine. My body trembled in fear when she laughed as if she was losing her mind. I flailed my limbs to free myself from her grasp but she tightened her grip on me and I almost couldn't breathe.