Chapter 6: Louis

So, to sum it up. I told Fred everything, explaining every little detail. It’s been 20 hours since I told him about Avery, and he still hadn’t recovered yet. He kept muttering something under his breath, I couldn’t understand it. His hands were cold and shaking. He just couldn’t believe that Avery knew his name, and she wanted to meet him in person.

“Are you sure that that’s not a joke?” he asked for the hundredth time, might be literally.

I groaned. “Yes, Fred. It’s not a joke, okay?” I said in frustration.

He let out a sigh. “Good. Because if I just find out that this is a joke, I’m gonna kill you,” he warned, pointing his index finger at me. I swatted his hand away.

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say.”

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I fished it out and read the screen. It was a text message from an unknown number. I opened the text message and read it:

Hi :)

Let’s meet at the front of the main building. 4 p.m.

-Avery-

How did she know my number? I pushed the thought away, it wasn’t even important right now. I tapped Fred on the shoulder and gave him my phone. I watched his expression as he read the text message, it was amusing. His eyes grew wider and a wide smile formed on his lips.

“See? It’s not a joke,” I said.

He looked at me. “Alright, I believe you now.” He gave me my phone back. His smile didn’t leave his lips. We were silent for a few seconds.

“How did you know Avery?” I asked.

“We were in the same high school. She was popular, obviously. She became the president of the student council and I was also a member, maybe that’s why she knows me,” he explained while fidgeting with his hands.

“Really? That’s great,” I said.

Fred smiled. “I didn’t really expect her to know my name. I just think that she remembers my face.”

“You’re saying it like it’s impossible for her to know your name,” I commented.

“That’s because I thought it’s impossible,” he said.

I stood up from the bench. “Nothing is impossible, Fred,” I said. I looked at my watch, our next class will start in 15 minutes. “We still have classes to attend to.”

He looked at his watch. “Right.” He stood up and picked up his bag, he slung it over his shoulder. 

We walked into the Main Building. The hallway was filled with students again. The thing I liked about this university was there weren’t a lot of students like most other universities had. The reason was there were only a few dormitories, the university couldn’t held a lot of students.

And like most of the time, Fred was greeted by his friends. I was greeted by some of his friends who knew me, like Tyson and his girlfriend Mary, and Alexander. I greeted back nicely, of course. Those people were nice to me and I wanted to be nice to them too—including Alexander, whose Fred’s friend I didn’t approve of. I just finally realized that Alexander was a good guy.

Fred was talking to one of his friends who I didn’t know the name—and I certainly had no interest in knowing the name. I was just awkwardly standing there, beside Fred and was trying not to listen to their conversation.

Something caught my attention. Fred and his friend’s attentions were just in something else right now to notice it. I looked at the end of the hallway. A group of guys were walking down.