Identity

It was hard to decide where to let my thoughts wander as I sat next to Everett in his truck. I could concentrate on the fact that we were zipping down the road towards the police station where a crazed zombie was circling in her cage. However, that led to a tight grip of anxiety grabbing hold of my chest. If I tried to send my mind towards happier thoughts, I often found myself glancing over at Everett who had redressed in haste after transforming into a wolf outside Gregory's office. He didn't bother to finish buttoning his shirt. He only managed a few buttons in the middle, while the top remained open and loose, exposing his firm chest to the moonlight. Then, there were the bottom buttons. Only a couple remained unbuttoned, but it provided enough of a view to see his toned stomach and a patch of dark hair leading down to places that had been revealed to me earlier that night. A blush burned hot on my cheeks as my mind continued to recall that moment and the way his body looked beneath the street lamp.

"Here we are," he said, completely oblivious to my wandering eyes. "I don't know what to expect in there. Just hang close to me and know if she somehow makes it out, there will be several vampires and werewolves ready to crush her skull before she can get to you."

Based on the way Everett offered a small, meek smile, I assumed he meant that statement to be reassuring. However, it simply chased away my happy thoughts and fear returned with a swift squeeze of my aching chest.

Inside I found more police officers than I'd ever seen before in Whisper Valley. Several stood along the back wall, looking tired but ready, while the rest gathered around a jail cell that had once hosted myself and Bungee when I first came to Whisper Valley. Those that stood on active guard duty seemed paler and far more lean than those against the wall. One of them stood taller than the rest, her back straight, her stance confident and unconcerned. Upon hearing our entrance, she did not turn to greet us, but instead kept her watchful eyes upon Mercedes as she cowered in a corner with her hands digging into her scalp.

"Your pack did well, Everett," said the night sheriff of Whisper Valley, the ancient vampire, Kyra Torquata. "They tracked down our suspect in a matter of minutes. Your finest trackers kept watch, but, unfortunately, she eventually took notice of our presence. My vampires subdued her before she could lead us to the others. However, we did learn the general direction she was headed and your wolves, Aria and Jake, are still out there following the scent."

"Well done," said Everett, who turned to the officers along the back wall. He then followed up his praise with a guttural noise, something mixed between a bark and a growl. The officers returned his sound with another and they brimmed with pride. "Alright, for now, I want Dennis and Sadie to stay here as backup. The rest of you, get your rest. We may need you at your full strength come morning when we lose our vampire brothers and sisters."

His pack bowed upon his order and they filed out without a word, while two wolves remained behind.

Still standing near the door, I admittedly couldn't get a good look at Mercedes. All I could hear was a low growl mixed with a whimper, along with the raspy sound of nails grating against skin. She didn't particularly sound as violent as she had before, and even if she did, I wasn't sure a tight wall of vampires along with a couple of werewolves waiting in the wings, was really necessary. 

"Is she really that dangerous?" I mumbled, looking up at Everett from the tops of my eyes. "Isn't this kind of overkill?" I thought of the happy-go-lucky zombie I first met out by the commune. How could it have come to this?

"I would think the bruise on your neck would be enough to require such a show of force," he said with a pitying twist of his lips. "There, however, is more to this than what you've seen." He turned away with a sigh and took a step forward, beckoning the vampires to part so we could draw closer to the cell. Some sent a quick glance to Kyra for confirmation, but she answered them with a stern bend of her brow.