7.

(Oh my god I'm already on the 7th chapter. Can you believe that? I think this book will be roughly 10-12 chapters plus an epilogue. The last one was that long, did you notice that? It seems longer because I added all that extra stuff like authors notes and acknowledgements and a Q&A. Speaking of, I'll be doing one of those for this book. PM me your questions please :3 I think I might try writing the next chapter in Bucky's POV then to make it longer I'll probably rewrite it from Alex's POV. Wait! Hold on! I forgot to mention this chapter will begin the event that brings a true meaning to Alex's code name. Be warned, this chapter gets kinda dark... -9/18)

The minute I got close to the door, I knew the target wasn't alone.

"Eliminate anyone that stands in your way." Pierce ordered me. I mentally groaned.

"Yes sir." I whispered. I tried the doorknob, hoping the target was dumb enough to leave the door unlocked.

No such luck. I guess that meant plan B: kicking the door down. I stepped back and kicked the door with as much force as I could manage, making the wood crack and splinter.

"What the hell are you thinking Titanium?" Pierce hissed. "Quite approach!" I hissed something under my breath, using colorful language, and knelt in front of the door- listening carefully. Nobody was approaching the door.

I dug a lock pick out of my pocket and began picking the lock, making a successful effort to stay absolutely silent while doing so.

The lock clicked and I twisted the doorknob, letting the door swing open. I scanned the room before stepping inside the target's apartment. I shut and locked the door behind me.

Voices were coming from behind a door on my left. I assumed that was wear the target and his company was.

"Wait a few minutes to see if the company will be leaving soon." Pierce ordered. I hummed a response and silently hid in the coat closet.

I must have waited at least ten minutes before I heard the front door open and close. A voice sighed quietly and someone walked past the coat closet.

"The target is alone. Eliminate him." Pierce ordered.

"Yes sir." I breathed. I waited a few moments before silently slipping out of the coat closet. The target had his back to me, he was looking at something.

I pulled a knife off of my belt and crept up behind him, pressing the blade of my knife against his jugular. He jerked his elbow back and slammed it against my solar plexus. I groaned and wheezed, trying to catch my breath.

The target knew what he was doing.

"Pierce really thinks he can kill me that easily?" The target laughed bitterly. "I knew you were in here the minute the door opened."

Well damn. I thought I was silent enough to remain unnoticed.

"He doesn't think. He knows." I hissed. The target turned to face me.

"Oh look, they replaced me with a girl." He laughed. I threw my knife at him, purposely missing and hitting the wall.

"Hydra does not replace. They upgrade." I lunged at him, tackling him.

The target and I fought for a good half hour before he managed to knock my goggles off. My mask was loose and falling.

"Do not remove your mask." Pierce ordered. "Keep your identity hidden."

I growled lowly and swung my fist at the target. He caught my hand and yanked me forward, spinning me so he was behind me. An arm wrapped around my neck and a hand gripped my mask. I started trashing around, struggling to free myself.

I slammed my foot down on top of his, the heel of my clunky boots smashing against the top of his shoe. He didn't even flinch. I gripped the arm around my throat and leaned forward, hoping I could work up enough momentum to throw him off me.

Luck, as it seemed, as on my side for the moment because he flipped over me and landed on his back. My mask was still in place.

I waited a moment or two before turning to let the rest of my team into the apartment. The minute I turned my back was the minute I made the worst mistake. I was yanked back and thrown against a wall. I heard the faintest cracking noise and prayed it was the wall cracking and not my back.

"Who are you?" The target demanded.

"Do not answer him." Pierce ordered. I closed my eyes, refusing to open my mouth.

The target punched me and I cried out in pain and pushed him away. Years of training myself to ignore my powers were forgotten and he was thrown across the room. The back of my neck exploded with pain, what used to be a slow burning became an inferno hell bent on informing me that I was in imminent danger.

"Dammit Titanium!" Pierce screamed. "Remember your training or let the target kill you because you will not be allowed back with your powers in use!" I flinched and ripped the comm unit out of my ear.

"Sorry papa. I can't be distracted while on this mission." I whispered, crushing the earpiece in my metal fist.

I moved towards the target, standing in front of the window. The back of my neck was screaming with burning pain. In the time it took to blink something hit me and I was sent flying through the glass. My mask came off in the process and I heard someone scream.

"Alex!"

All too soon I hit the ground and a loud cracking noise echoed in the empty space, followed by an ear piercing, blood curdling scream of pain.

(Aaaaand you all probably hate me right now. Word count: 980)