Victory Royal

The first rule of Fortnite: do not mess with The Storm.

*************************************************

That concept holds true for Fortnite, but the wrinkle that the building system brings in makes it even more crucial to your success. Being able to build a multi-tiered structure over your opponent's head while they're struggling to dodge your shots can make them panic, and your ability to dictate the pace of the engagement by making them build up to you almost always tips the scales in your favor.

Pro tips for winning in Fortnite

Seasoned a little and looking for an edge to take you closer to the top 10 or even toward your first victory? These advanced tips will go a long way toward your improvement.

You can knock bases down in one hit

*************************************

While some bases in Fortnite can seem insurmountable, they do have a weakness: their base. Like any structure, if you take out its foundation it'll come toppling to the ground.

You don't even have to run up and hack away with your pickaxe: pour enough bullets into a ramp or a wall and it'll fall to pieces. Completely separate the building from the ground and watch the whole thing come crashing down. Oh, and if you're lucky enough to find grenades or rocket launchers, they make the job ten times easier.

Know when to disengage

One of the skills you'll need to pick up on right away is gauging the war of attrition. We tend to speak of ammunition in that regard, but it's impossible to know how much they're carrying.

Instead, use the health prompts to figure out whether you can win a fight. When you shoot an enemy, you'll see numbers appear above their head indicating how much damage you've dealt. If the numbers are blue and then begin turning white or yellow, it means they had a shield potion and you've completely exposed their health bar.

If your shots aren't showing blue and you still have some of your shield, you're winning. If not, you'd better look into your options for retreating fast (or be one insanely skilled marksman).

Supply drops are extremely rewarding death traps

*************************************************

As the late game draws near, you'll have more opportunities to find supply drops. These drops contain the rarest guns in the game -- legendary SCAR-L rifles, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, you name it. They're highly contested.