One

Photo by Andraz Lazic on Unsplash

"And now it's time for Battle of the Sexes!" The good-humored but slightly snarky voice of Darby Blossom, one of WKFG 99.1 FM radio's morning hosts caught Kayla Morrison's attention even as she navigated the giant potholes that had appeared on her road seemingly overnight. March snows had given way to April sleet, rain, and more sleet, and as the ground thawed and froze again, frost heaves rose like volcanoes beneath the road, cracking the pavement, crumbling the tar. Driving the five blocks down her street had become an obstacle course. She'd already dented one rim. She couldn't afford another.

"That's right, Darby," Trent Colson drawled in his deep, melting-chocolate voice. Kayla had seen a video of him once on the radio's website. He sounded like 6 feet, 5 inches of beefy muscle but looked like 5 feet, 2 inches of too much banana cream pie. Never trust a voice on the radio to reflect reality. "Today we are giving away a special premium seat ticket to the Country Fire concert this Saturday night. The prize includes a limo ride to the concert and a backstage pass after the show where the lucky winner will meet the band. How awesome is that?"

"Pretty awesome, Trent," Darby said. "So, we are looking for two contestants. One man. One woman. Three trivia questions." As Darby reeled off the phone number of the radio station, Kayla gasped and pulled over to the side of the road. She grabbed her cell phone and punched in the numbers. It was a long shot, but Country Fire! Her favorite band! And God knew she could use a night out.

From the back seat, her three-year-old twins Lucas and Lina babbled to each other in a language she couldn't understand. Lina screeched. Lucas screeched back. They both giggled. And started over again. Darby pressed the phone to her ear.

"WKFG 99.1," a bored female voice droned. "To whom am I speaking?"

Kayla was so flustered she forgot her own name for a moment. "Er...um, my name is Kayla Morrison. I'm calling about the trivia game?"

"Congratulations, you are our first female caller. I'll put you on hold. Darby and Trent will pick up and get things started right after commercial, okay?"

"Okay." A mud-splattered over-sized pickup truck splashed around her, spraying slushy grit over the side and front of her minivan. She reached over and flicked on the windshield wipers, swearing under her breath when she realized the wiper fluid was tapped out. The twins screeched and giggled again. Kayla gripped the wheel as her heart thudded. She was going to be on the radio! Answering trivia questions! What was she thinking?

Before she could hang up, she heard a familiar voice through the phone. "We're back," Trent said. "And it's the Thursday edition of...dun-dun-dun... Battle of the Sexes!"