Two

Photo by Bonnie Kittle on Unsplash

Darby piped in. "On the line we have Noah Jerrod from Gull's Haven. How are you today, Noah?"

"I'm doin' just great, thanks." Noah's smooth, male voice held a tinge of Downeast Maine accent that reminded Kayla of seagulls and sand and ocean waves sparkling in the sunlight.

"And what are you up to this fine drizzly morning?" Darby asked.

"Out on my boat, listening to you guys, like I do every mornin'," he said. "Figured I'd call in and try my luck on the contest."

"What kind of boat?" Darby wanted to know.

"Lobstah." He exaggerated the accent. 

Darby laughed. "That's great. Okay and on the other line we have Kayla Morrison from Three Lakes. Where is Three Lakes, Kayla?"

"Hi. Um, we're out toward the New Hampshire border."

"Out in the boondocks, huh? What are doing this morning?" This was Trent.

"Driving my twins to daycare, on my way to work at the hospital in Flynn," Kayla said as the twins screeched.

"Okay, so, Noah and Kayla, are you ready to battle it out for that ticket to Country Fire?" Trent said.

"Yup," Noah said.

"Yes." Kayla's heart picked up speed as she thought about that ticket. It had been so long since she'd had a night away from the twins. Her ex rarely showed up to take Lucas and Lina on his weekends, calling to make excuses. At least he paid child support on time, otherwise she'd never make it. But if she won the ticket, she'd splurge on a babysitter or ask her mother to stay over. A glance in the mirror showed a drawn face and dark bags under prematurely aging blue eyes. She was only twenty-eight for goodness sakes! Too old to look like an only slightly younger version of her mother.

"First question goes to Kayla. Who was the inventor of the telephone? American Telegraph & Telephone Company, Alexander Graham Bell, or Thomas Edison?" Trent's voice was warm and gentle, easing her into the question.

"Bell?"

"That's correct. One point to Kayla."

Darby took over. "Now, Noah. Which is the only mammal that can't jump? A bear, a hippopotamus, or an elephant?"

Noah hesitated a moment, then said. "I'll go with elephant, Darby."

"And that is....correct!" Darby screeched. "So we are all tied up, one to one, here on Battle of the Sexes. Noah, how's the water out there today? I'm thinking it must still be cold."

"Yeah, it's a tad breezy," Noah said, laughing. "But nothing like the middle of December."

One of the twins began to fuss, screeching louder and longer. Lucas, it sounded like. Kayla twisted around in her seat and handed the twins little containers of cereal to keep them occupied.

"Yikes, Kayla," Trent said. "Sounds like you have your hands full there."

Kayla frowned but kept her composure. This was live radio after all. What did these two disc jockeys know about her life? "Well, twins aren't easy, especially for a single parent, but they are fun." She let out a little laugh. "They certainly keep me busy."

"I bet." Darby could not have sounded less interested. "Okay, Kayla. Ready? When did the American Civil War end? 1776, 1863, or 1865?"

Oh, crap. Kayla closed her eyes. She had despised history class in high school, and her associates degree in business hadn't required more than one course on that subject. She'd elected to take Sports History instead of American, yawn, History. She searched her memory. It was either 1863 or 1865. Kayla opened her eyes and just guessed. "1863?"

___________________________

What do you think? Will Kayla get the question right? Do you know the answer? Thanks for reading and please vote and share if you are enjoying the story!