Nobody

Grace dumped her books in her locker, knowing she'd probably regret the mess tomorrow morning.

Thank god this day was over. She was so sick of this day.

You know what was exhausting? Avoiding someone. It was exhausting having to be aware of someone at all times so you could not interact with them.

Her phone buzzed. Probably another text from Daniel. She was this close to blocking his number altogether. But while that would make her life slightly easier, she didn't want him to know she'd put so much effort into avoiding him.

She didn't pretend to be logical.

Grace had almost considered attaching herself to Kelsey, because the one time yesterday that Daniel could have had a shot at talking to her she'd run into Kelsey and he'd instantly backed off. But then she really wouldn't put it past him to destroy her friendship with Kelsey by saying something stupid in front of her.

It was just such bullshit.

Nobody.

He'd told his brother she was nobody. The freaking second his macho "women are dope" brother shows up he turned into a douchebag. It was just so classic. His brother called him gay for drinking hot chocolate. What the actual fuck.

It was such toxic masculinity bullshit, she just couldn't handle it.

His brother was probably in a frat and weighed his goddamn chicken.

Sure he'd seemed friendly, but she'd gotten a bad vibe.

She shut her locker door with more force than was necessary, reaching down to pick her bag up off the floor.

"Hey, you."

She flinched at the sound of Daniel's voice, looking sideways to find his face way too close to hers for her liking. She jerked away, swinging her bag over one shoulder.

"What do you want?"

He frowned, getting that stupid little furrow between his brows that she definitely did not like.

"Nothing. Just missed you. How have you been?"

Grace rolled her eyes, turning on her heel and walking away from him.

Of course he came after her.

His hand wrapped around her wrist, jerking her to a stop.

"Hey. Grace. What's wrong?"

The anger she'd been suppressing bubbled over and she whipped around, tugging her hand from his. "Nothing. Why do you care? I'm nobody, remember?"

His face said it all. Oh shit, she heard me. Oh shit, I can't play her anymore. Oh shit, I can't pretend to actually have human feelings anymore.

"Grace..." She cut him off before he could even try.

"I really don't want to hear it" she said, turning away again.

She heard a thud behind her, and then suddenly Daniel was in front of her. Stupid athletic person.

"Grace, c'mon. Please. Just hear me out."

She glared at him. How dare he not let her leave? Douchebag.

"If I do will you leave me alone?"

"Grace, c'mon..."

Grace sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

Daniel looked at her for a moment before speaking. "Come on, let's go into a classroom. I know you don't want your friends to see us."