Chapter 54: What Would You Do If I Spoke Out Of Turn, Would You Walk Out On Me?

Thanks for waiting for a new chapter y'all <3 Oh man April is really the cruelest month when it comes to university work I'm drowning but it's ok also the chapter title was gonna be "stand up and walk out on me" but Wattpad has a character limit for titles so we have the abridged version haha

Anyways enjoy, and don't hesitate to tell me what you think! I love hearing from you all! xoxo

Well a-when the saints go marching in

    When the saints go marching in

    Mm I want to be, I'm gonna be in that number

    Ooo when the saints go marching in

    Oh when the sun yeah begins to shine! Oh, oh, oh...

    "Macca!"

    "What?"

    I imitated throwing back a drink as I yelled through the music and bright lights, "A drink, Macca, a drink, my voice is knackered." He handed one to me and I continued with my tirade: "You didn't take the top off for a lady," I scolded him and lightly bopped his nose, taking the beer from him with a smile. From my other side, John took the drink from my hand and wrenched the top off. "Ask the man who can actually do it."

    "Oh please. I'm more than capable." Paul flashed a smile into the crowd and blew a kiss at someone; I caught sight of a dark brown curly head. This was a prime hour for shows—somewhere around one in the morning: sailors and dancers and the occasional art student; a mixed bag. On the stage, I was at home and everyone knew it, they knew from my stance on stage, my comfort with the boys, the thumping of my bass. When they said the Beatles got their roots from Hamburg they meant it. I could see where all the technique had come from, hours on hours on hours on hours of playing non-stop. The band was gaining fame; we had had several comments from before, several Germans who walked up to us and complimenting us, some of them pointing at John and me and saying, "Du und deine Freundin sind unglaublich, unglaublich," then disappearing into the dark night.

    "You're on, love, take my spot for a bit," Paul suddenly said, giving me a cheeky grin and lightly hopping off the stage into the crowd. I glanced up at John. "Ye ready, partner?" I asked, drawling out the partner in a western accent, stopping when I noticed that there was oddly a group of musicians who had come to watch us; I could recognize the shape of a guitar case anywhere.

    "Come at me." John playfully snapped his teeth at me, seeming not to notice the unusual crowd. "Johnny be good," I retorted.

    We looked at each other and then out into the crowd before slightly nodding at each other, knowing exactly what we were going to play.

***

    "Can you believe it's already May?"

    "Bloody hell. Feels like both March and August, ye know?"

    "Yeah." George took a drag of his fag and moved it to the side of his mouth before attempting to sip his beer; it fell to the floor and George said, "Shite. I need to learn that trick better."

    "Wasn't bad," someone said from behind us. "Just needs work on, well, everything." We turned around to see a figure I hadn't seen very much before, someone who looked bloody terrifying at first. He gave a good natured grin which brought smile lines to his large blue eyes.

    "Starkey," George managed.

    "Harrison," he replied. "Hamburg's greatest guitarist but shittiest demonstrator of taking a fag and a beer at the same time." We all laughed, George made a slight movement; he had obviously wanted to playfully shoulder-check Ringo but he wasn't sure if he should. "Cora," Ringo acknowledged me, giving me a nod of his head and a small wave, making the rings on his fingers glitter in the dim lighting of the club . "Although for a lady I should really call you miss Cora. Ye look like one of the lads up there, but in a right good way."