2.

Orientation came and went. Pete still hadn't seen his roommate. He was beginning to wonder whether or not he would show at all; he'd seen people bail before due to separation anxiety and homesickness alike. It was possible he'd shown up and left again all while he was fucking around with Andy and Joe.

Dinner wasn't until six thirty, and Pete had decided to go back to his room to journal. Everyone eats with their residential groups at dinner, so Pete bid Andy and Joe goodnight in case he didn't see them before the next day. Then he went back to his own room. When he opened the door, however, he was met with resistance. And a loud thud.

"Ow! Fuck!"

Pete froze, hand still on the doorknob, and peered around the door. On the other side was a boy a little shorter than him with strawberry blonde hair peeking out from under a trucker hat. Said boy was glaring at him, but all malice in it was negated by the (adorable) roundness in his cheeks.

"Sorry, guess I should've knocked," Pete said with a small smile.

"That's alright. It could've happened to anyone." Pete looked over to see another man in the room who was slightly taller than him. The man smiled at him. "I'm Kevin, Patrick's older brother," he said, holding out a hand. Pete took it.

"Pete, although you probably guessed that." He directed his attention back to his roommate. "And that makes you Patrick?"

Patrick nodded solemnly. He turned back to the closet he was in front of and began hanging clothes in it.

Kevin didn't take his eyes off his brother and whispered, "He's not very social."

"Bite me, Kevin."

Pete laughed. "Spunky for a nerd. I like you." Patrick flinched.

"Yeah, don't call him that," Kevin said sternly. "I will personally kick your ass."

"Kevin."

"Do you guys want a few minutes? To like, get settled in and say goodbyes?" Pete asked. "I just remember how weird it was for me last year when my roommate had to watch my mom smother me with last minute kisses." He shuddered.

"Nah, we had time to talk before you got here, and we're not huge on teary goodbyes. Thanks though." Kevin smiled. He turned to his brother. "Speaking of which, I should probably get on the road. Wouldn't want to get back at a bad time," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Patrick turned back to the two of them, glanced over at Pete, and looked at Kevin. "Okay."

"You've got your phone?"

"Yes, Kevin."

"And your inhaler?

"Yes, Kevin."

"Condoms?"

Patrick glared at him.

"Kidding. Now get over here." Kevin stepped forward and enveloped Patrick in a hug, which Patrick immediately returned. Pete noted that their height difference was enough that Patrick had his face pressed to Kevin's chest. He then looked away when Patrick's eyes opened and met his own.

Kevin pulled away. "See you in six weeks. Have fun." He shoved the bill of Patrick's hat down over his eyes good-naturedly, then waved to Pete and ducked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Patrick fixed his hat and stared at where Kevin had just been. He sighed, turning back to his suitcase. He pulled it over to where his dresser was and sat down beside it. Pete pushed himself up onto his bed and crossed his legs, watching his roommate. "How long have you been coming to this camp?"

"This is my first year," Patrick said.

"Really? Isn't kind of late to start now?" Pete teased.

"I wasn't...fortunate enough to be able to come, before."

"Got it." Pete nodded. "I've been here every year since I was able so," he did some quick math, "this is my fifth year."

"Good for you."

Pete paused. "So...physics?"

Patrick froze. "Yeah," he said quietly. "What's wrong with physics?"

"Nothing, it's just not something a lot of people are into."

Patrick turned around. "I like the rules, and the math, and the explanations for everything, okay?"

Pete held up his hands. "Okay, no need to get defensive." Patrick continued unpacking, and Pete felt like the silence was suffocating him. "I get that, actually."

"Oh really? Then why'd you ask about it like that?" Patrick threw him a look over his shoulder.

"I'm not a numbers person," Pete began, "but I get why you'd like the explanations for stuff. Life is confusing."

Patrick scoffed. "You can say that again."

The room went silent again for a minute, then Patrick asked, "So...writing?"

"Yep." Pete smiled. "I've got the soul of a poet, baby." Patrick didn't turn to face him, but the tips of his ears turned pink. Pete laughed.

"What?" Patrick squeaked. His cheeks turned pink, too. "You can't call someone you just met 'baby' and be surprised when it flusters them, jackass."

"You shouldn't have admit it," Pete drawled. Patrick blinked at him. "Now it's a game."

"Oh, fuck no."