[ pre-chapter ]

How did a girl get on to Rikkaidai's Tennis Team?

| f r e s h m a n   y  e a r |

Yumiko's P.O.V

"Don't forget to hand it in your essay's! They're due first thing tomorrow morning" said our teacher, as we packed our stuff to leave. "Oh and Tezuka, Yoshizawa-sensei would like to speak to you," she said, while everyone piled to get out of the classroom. I nodded and walked out. Once I got to the principal's office, I knocked on the door. I hope I'm not in any trouble. "Come in," said a voice from the inside. "Good afternoon Tezuka-san" he greeted. He said in his usual chair and began to talk.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked quickly out of instinct, instantly regretting it. Can I not be awkward for one second! "You're not in trouble. It's actually something you may find joy in" he said, ending the sentence with a small chuckle. "You can sit down, by the way," he said. I sat down and placed my bag next to the chair. "So I've been curious about your tennis achievements since you spend everyday in a court and still manage to pass your classes. I knew you played nationally in multiple tournaments and well as some international tournaments. I ended up calling the J.T.A and asking about your achievements more in-depth" he explained, "and I am beyond surprise with everything you've done in your years in Rikkaidai."

Wow. Was the coldest principal ever complimenting me? "We decided that we should allow you to be apart of Rikkaidai's Boy's Tennis Team. A regular that is. The J.T.A and I decided that it would be a huge help to our team if you joined" he said. Me? On the boy's tennis team? That's surprising. "Tezuka-san, would you accept my offer?" he asked, now facing me. "What would Miyagawa-sensei say about this?" I asked myself aloud. "She said yes," he said. "Then I'd love too" I finally said, giving him a smile. "Great! Perfect timing, their practice is starting now. You can go to the courts and practice with them. Yukimura-buchou already knows your coming" he said. I bowed, "Arigato, sensei!". I took my leave and left

[-]

I walked to the courts in total excitement but still nervous. What if they didn't like me and though I sucked at tennis? I shook my head and wiped away those thoughts. They wouldn't let me be a regular if they thought so. A few minutes after that, I arrived to see a lot of people there. A guy with a regular jacket approached me. "You're Tezuka Yumiko, right?' he asked. I looked up to him and politely replied with, "Yes". "Nice to finally meet you. I'm the captain, Yukimura Seiichi. You can follow me and I'll introduce you to your new teammates" he explained. He took me inside the court, "These are our regulars, Ikeda, Yanagi, Sanada, Mori, Nishiki, Akagi, Me, and you" he said, pointing to everyone one of them.

Yukimura-buchou gathered the team and I can see they all had high levels of respect for him. "Ok, so I'm going straight to the point. We have a new regular and she's standing right here. Her name's Tezuka Yumiko and she's won many junior tournaments in Japan and America as well as other countries. Treat her well" he told them. Their eyes widen. "A girl as a regular?" they all thought. "She's also a freshman" he added which made people's mouths wide open. "OK! Return to practice" he finally said and everyone scrambled to the court. "Tezuka, you can practice with Sanada, Yanagi, and I," he said, pointing to the two boys on the 2nd court. So the captain's in the same year as me, huh? Yukimura decided that I should have a practice match against Sanada and I agreed. He looked like a tall boy with a stoic expression. This will be interesting.

[-]

No one's P.O.V

"Sanada vs. Tezuka. Tezuka's serve" said Yukimura, on the umpire chair. Yanagi took out a notebook and noted everything as they played. Starting off, Yumiko did a flat serve, that Sanada returned in an angle which she couldn't return it from. "Love-15!".