Chapter 12: "What is 'War'?"

He repeated the question back to me, "What is war?... It depends on how you look at it. The Muslims think that if you have an religious internal struggle, they call that a Jihad, or holy war. While extremists, take this meaning of Holy war literally, and think it's a war between religious powers. Some people say that war is just politics continued on other means. While others say it is a prolonged armed conflict between two nations. The second definition in my opinion is wrong. Because then, fighting between two powers that aren't nations or states, would not be called war. So the question still goes un-answered, what. Is. War." He responded to me. I was shocked a his response. It was deep, and philosophical. This man knew a thing or two about war... I sat down in a chair in front of him. "Was the war on terror war?" I asked. "It was a Jihad for the Muslim extremists. For the western powers, it was a war for revenge and avengeance. The USA wanted revenge for 9/11. The extremists wanted the USA gone, but they, in turn, were annihilated due to the stratagems and coalition of the USA and other countries."

"Could anything be a war?"

"Yes. Yes it could. If you were to have an internal conflict about a certain thing in your life, that could be war against yourself. Having a debate with someone, that could be war. Anything could be a war."

"Is anything more than a war?"

"Yes. For example, look at WWI. After WWI ended, the powers that fought in it looked at the destruction of the chemical weapons they used. It was horrifying. The powers then asked themselves,'Is this right? Or is this wrong?' From then on, after the Geneva Convention, chemical weapons were banned. The cold war was a war on politics. But it was the ultimate test of morals and ethics. Look at the Cuban missile crisis. The arms race. That wasn't just a war, it was the biggest test of ethics. So was the holocaust aswell."

"So general, all in all, what is war?"

"Anything."

"Thank you. May you rest in peace."

I then stood up, and shot him in the forehead.