Part I

I.

She didn't think of him that much when he first entered the Institute of Religion building. He was a fella like any other, not worth a single spare of her eyes.

She stared at him as he entered the room—sulking, uncomfortable, and in simple terms; new. He looked as if he entered an entire world unknown to him, and he looked like he didn't want to be there either.

He didn't look so bad. He wasn't handsome, but he wasn't ugly either. He was... alright. He had light, tan skin and was as thin as a piece of spaghetti. He had pitch-black, combed hair and auburn eyes, and he wore a simple red T-shirt and brown cargo pants. He was caressing his arms and looking down on the floor, avoiding any eye contact in front of him. It was difficult being the new kid.

He was entering an institute class with more than twenty students, of course it was difficult, she thought. But even if the new boy could avoid all the students, he couldn't avoid the teacher; Sister Loren.

"Ah, he's here." she heard Sister Loren whisper to herself. "Brothers and sisters, let's all welcome our new student here at our institute class, Brother Mason Georgium."

The new kid—Mason—stopped in front of the class next to Sister Loren. He lifted his head up and gave a wry smile at the students. Being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, most of them said "Hi!" to him enthusiastically and smiled at him. This made him feel a bit more comfortable.

Sister Loren, being the young and charismatic teacher she was, gave a little pat on his back and smiled at him. "Brother Georgium here is a member of our church, for almost twelve years now. He's a member of the Sansky ward, and he's—how old are you right now, Brother?"

A deep, soft-spoken voice came out his mouth. "I'm twenty-six."

Hmm. He's in my ward, and he's twenty-six years old. Must be a returned missionary, she thought.

"Oh! So you were baptized when you were fourteen years-old?" Sister Loren asked. "I'm sorry, I haven't seen you around the chapel, I'm, uh, sort of terrible at remembering faces."

"Uh, I was inactive for about, four or five years, maybe. I just got back." Brother Georgium replied, and he looked at the floor again.

Perhaps he's not a returned missionary, she thought, studying him.

"Oh. I guess your bishop forgot to mention that. Don't worry, you'll fit right in. I'm assigning you to sit with our ISC secretary, Sister Reverie Dale." She's looking at me! she thought. "Sister Dale, if you please."

She was... unexcited that she had to be the one to do the fellowshipping to this new brother, but as the Institute Social Committee's secretary, and being just a decent person in general, it was her responsibility.

Brother Georgium proceeded to walk towards her, and then sat quietly in the empty seat beside her. He stared straight ahead as Sister Loren continued her class, but Reverie nudged him in the shoulder.

"Hi. I'm Reverie, but people call me 'Rev'. Nice to meet you, brother." Rev said, extending out her hand to him while smiling.

And to her surprise, a faint glimmer of hope appeared in his eyes, and he smiled back. "It's Mason. Call me Mason." he said, as he accepted her hand and shook it.

She didn't think of him much when he first entered the Institute building, but as she talked to him for the rest of the night, she thought of him a lot.

---

The bestest of friends you will find, in all the unlikely places and events.