Chapter 31.- Daegu

„ Do you think she'll be okay?"
„ Maknae - we dumped her outside of the biggest hospital in Seoul. I doubt she'll die there."
„The way you say it makes me only feel worse.."

I glance over my shoulder, taking a final glimpse at the sidewalk where we'd left Poppy. The lights of the clinic glowed in the dark, illuminating the night sky like a huge firefly, the staff buzzing from room to room, caring for each patient. Max was right. There was no way, that she wouldn't be noticed, sitting in a wheelchair, directly in front of the building. Still, it didn't pain ones mind less, if one knew that you were the reason she was in need of medical attention. The female next to me seems to read my mind.

„ It's not your fault. She knew about Namjoons deals. And still she came. She's a tuff chic - she'll get through it."

Her words provide a bit of comfort in all the ocean of uncertainty . To describe our situation shortly : we were fucked. Like super fucked. We had nowhere to go or a plan what to do. We'd taken a running jump into a unknown lake, without checking it's depth. Now all we could do was wait and see if we'd hit the bottom and break our necks or rise to the top unharmed. It was a sickening sensation. It was one of the rules one didn't break. Always have a plan. It had been drilled into my skull. Always plan - always know your enemy, their reach and power. For only intelligence and knowledge can beat power and brute force.

But here we were, driving out into the night, not a single clue where to go, fear leading our choices.

„ Fuck..."

Max laughs, nodding her head in agreement.

„ Yeah...fuck alright."

There is silence. An uncomfortable one. It had been a long time since I'd last had a civil conversation with Max. It was strange to be sitting next to her, while not being motivated to crush all the life out of her.

„ Never thought I would ever be on the same side as you again...it's weird."
„ It is...after you left, I had signed you off...never thought I would ever see you again - let alone have to fight together."
„ Well, unbelievable as it is...this is life now Maknae. And I would be more than grateful to have you by my side right now...I haven't forgotten that wicked right hook of yours."

There's a sad smile on her face, a trace of the past we'd shared. I'd never fully got to understand her. She'd loved me like a sister, then thrown me out like a piece of trash and left without an explanation. Nobody ever mentioned her afterwards. Max had been a taboo. A no-go topic.

„ Why? Why did you leave?"

She pauses, thinking about a response. I could tell that she's hiding something from me and was dying to open up about it - but was afraid to.

„ I...Rose....the combo didn't work...we didn't share the same opinion on..certain topics."

The short haired female falls silent again.

„ When all of this is over Maknae..then I'll tell you. I'll tell you about the things you don't know, why I left and...why you ended up with us. But -„

She reaches out to grab hold of my hand, giving it a short squeeze.

„- I never wanted to leave you. Just remember that. I have my reasons why I acted the way I did and in time, I will explain every single one of them to you....but for now I als you to simply put the rest of trust you have in me. Because that's the only way we'll rise out of this successful."

With that she let's go of my hand, to turn up the volume of the music. Blackbears sweet voice greets me, chanting the words of do re mi.

„ And you got me thinking lately, bitch you crazy /And nothing's ever good enough - I wrote a little song for ya
It go like ~
Do Re Mi Fa so fuckin done with you girl - so fucking done with all the games you play/ I ain't no tic-tac-toe/ So set the X and O's on another note, I'm ghost."