9. The Journey Onwards

The sun had just risen, bathing the house in its light. Clementine and Louis stood in the kitchen, leaning against the counter as they sipped water. Marlon and Brody were fighting in the living room over what was important enough to take.

"Were they always like this?" Clementine asked, watching them nonchalantly.

"The stress gets to them sometimes," Louis answered. "They're a perfect match for each other, you know?"

"They look like it." The two of them watched as Brody stormed back to her room, leaving Marlon holding a book in his hand. He gave the two observers an exasperated look before following her.

"So......" Louis hesitated, running a hand through his hair, "... have you ever had a boyfriend?"

Clementine raised an eyebrow.

"I-I mean I've never had one either," he covered up hastily. "Just asking.... for general knowledge."

"You've never had a boyfriend?" Clementine chuckled.

Louis gave her a confused look. "What...?" Then it struck him. "Oh. Not that way. I meant... you know what I mean."

"I haven't. Didn't give it much of a thought."

"Oh, okay. No, that's cool," he replied awkwardly.

The bedroom door opened and Marlon came out. "You guys ready?"

The both of them shook their heads.

He gave them an annoyed look. "Then why are you sitting around here like a bunch of old ladies? Go! Why the fuck are you guys so calm?"

Louis and Clementine left the kitchen without another word.

"He seems really mad. I think the Brody argument got to him," Clementine said.

"Definitely agree with that. We should get to packing up our stuff either way. I'll see you in a while," Louis replied, heading to his room.

Clementine opened her door. AJ sat on the bed, a book in his hand. He was reading aloud, struggling with the words.

"Hey there, goofball. What are you reading?" she asked.

"Something about beans and cows and giants. It doesn't make any sense. How does a tree grow into the clouds?" he asked.

"It's just a story. It's not real. It's a fairy tale meant to entertain kids."

"It isn't whatever you said right now." He put the book down. "Are we leaving?"

Clementine nodded. "We are. I came up here to pack up all our stuff. We should be leaving within an hour."

"Maybe we could give it a few days more?"

She sighed. "We spoke about this. There's nothing here for us. We can find a new home with everyone else out there."

"I don't think we should. We already have a home here and we shouldn't let go."

"Look, I promise you we will find a home, okay? You trust me, right?"

"Yeah. But-"

"I promise we will. You're going to have back me up here, kiddo. I can't do this without you."

AJ nodded. "I'll help you, Clem."

"Good." She smiled at him. "Go see if the others need any help. I'll get our bags ready."

She reached for her bag, putting the gun in. The bag already had a few things so she was going to have to use the space properly. Besides, she couldn't make it very heavy either. She put her cap on, adjusting it slightly before picking up AJ's drawings from her bedside and carefully placing them in. There was no way she was going to leave them behind.