Into The Darkness

Chapter Fifteen

"Alright listen up. Tonight we march on Vampire Cove. The mission is to save Jenna and Derek. If we run into any vampires, kill them swiftly and silently. We don't want to alert the entire coven of our presence. Got it?" I stated to Symone and Luca.

"Yes Alpha." They replied.

"There's something else I wanted to tell the both of you." I began as I walked to stand in front of them."This is something very delicate and must not leave this office am I clear?"

"Yes ma'am"

"Someone ordered Alpha Rogers to murder Ian two years ago. I want to know who the hell it was and why. Luca, you are in charge of this investigation. Symone, continue to prepare the warriors for tonight but also snoop around and see what you can find out. Understood?" They nodded. "Clear out." They bowed and left.

I sighed and rubbed my temples as I plopped down on my chair. Ian's soul will vanish if I don't solve this.

"You okay?"

I opened my eyes to see Ian leaning in the doorway with his hands in his pockets. My heart ached for him.

"Yeah, I'm great." I lied as I watched him.

"Come on now, you think I don't know you? Spill." He smiled as he sat across from my desk.

"I'm sorry you went through all of that alone." I whispered.

He stared at me in silence for a while before he looked down and sighed.

"It's fine. What matters now is that we find out who wanted me dead, and make sure that whoever it was, doesn't want your head on a platter too."

Rubbing my temples I exhaled loudly and went over the plan with him for tonight.

"I need you here with Luca tonight, help him hold down the fort. I need you safe."

"Adeline. I'm already dead." He retorted with a serious look.

"Not to me your not. Now you stay put and help Luca."

"Whatever you say Alpha." He joked with a small nod. I rolled my eyes and silently begged the Moon Goddess for a successful outcome tonight.

Once the sun set and the moon reached its apex we set off into the woods towards Vampire Cove.
We moved silently and cautiously through the trees careful not to accidentally make any loud noises. The moon shone brightly above us as we stopped at the edge of the cliff.

There in the distance surrounded by water, was the black jagged rock formation known as Vampire Cove. With its intricate cave openings and ominous black cloud surrounding the rickety bridge that connected the cove with land made the task at hand seem almost suicidal. Doubt started to rear its ugly head which I refused to indulge in. Jenna and Derek are there and need rescuing, not to mention the fact that the Vampire King was probably the one who ordered my brother's head on a stick. He's the only enemy we have. I need answers and I need them now. Ian's soul is on the line.

I gave one determined short nod signaling the warriors to get into their positions. Daniel flanked my left while Symone flanked my right. I decided to bring Daniel along because he is the strongest and fiercest Warrior I know, which is why I made him head of our border patrol. The plan is for me, Symone, and Daniel to head straight into the cove while the others position themselves strategically to assist in our escape as well as to capture at least one vampire for questioning. If executed correctly, there should be no fatalities. If executed poorly we could lose more than just our lives;  with me gone Shadow Valley can take over, we'd essentially be handing over Midnight Warrior over to Alpha Rogers when he attacks which under no circumstance will I ever allow that to come to pass. Success is my only option, failure is not.

Once the others were in position I shifted back to my human form and headed towards the bridge with Symone and Daniel still flanking me on either side, as they stayed in wolf form. The weather on this side of the territories was always unseasonably cold which made me seriously regret not bringing along something to cover myself up with, it was a matter of efficiency that I decided not to bring clothes. Werewolves are naked about 95% of the time, so nudity is something completely natural for us.

However, at this particular moment my peaked nipples and goose bump covered ass beg to differ. Ignoring my trembling need for clothes I cautiously stepped onto the slightly swaying wooden bridge and hesitated for a moment when it lightly creaked. The vampires have unparalleled hearing which is why I planned to do this tonight. Today is the Vampire King's 1000th birthday and the vampires will be too busy enjoying the nights festivities to notice the werewolves breaking in. Even so, caution is called for, vampires are sneaky and just one bite from them will kill us slowly and painfully and vice versa.
After what seemed like a lifetime later we slowly stepped off of the bridge and took a moment to scan the area. Once we were sure that there were no vampires we continued down the rocky path that lead straight into the darkness inside.

It was dark enough that humans would likely stumble and trip but with my eyesight I could clearly see ahead of me. The darkness extended about a mile in. Symone and Daniel suddenly stopped, I looked back into their glow in the dark eyes questioningly.

We think that I should stand watch here and you and Daniel go on to find Jenna and Derek. It's too risky at this point for all of us to go. Symone mind-linked me.

After debating it for a moment I nodded in affirmation and continued down the now dimly lit passageway with Daniel hot on my heels. I appreciated his closeness, it brought me a bit of ease as we went deeper into vampire infested territory.

Relax

Jesus Christ Raina! You scared me!

You need to relax Adeline you're starting to tense up, relax a little bit. Tensing like this is only making it harder for you to concentrate. Focus.

I took a steadying breath and relaxed my shoulders just as a scream pierced into the silence. Daniel and I immediately tensed and prepared to attack, the minutes went by but nothing happened. After a few more moments I jerked my head forward signaling Daniel to keep going. As I was about to turn a corner I heard a gurgling cough and quickly pressed my back against the wall.

"QUIET." Shouted a man, his voice cold and cynical. I decided to take a peek and saw a tall male with his back to me standing in front of  metal bars. He punched the bars and huffed angrily as he moved over just enough for me to see the blood covered sobbing mess that lay curled up on the cold rocky ground.

Jenna.