eight.

The French Quarter bustled at night, with people from all over the world unionizing in the common space of New Orleans. There was Bourbon Street, Decatur Street, Royal Street, and more, but they all had one thing in common- they were chockfull of history. Pristine art galleries, antique shops, fine dining experiences, and fantastic live music were just some of the old sights to see in the charming quarter.

Elijah sat in a five-star restaurant in the heart of the Quarter, feeling happy and content with the current status of his relationship with Claudia. Claudia however, felt extremely unfulfilled. Her heart was racing extremely fast, and Elijah could very audibly make out the abnormal beat. He didn't know what was wrong however, and decided not to pry.

"Elijah, I have to tell you something." Claudia said somberly. Her words caught at the end of her sentence due to the massive lump beginning to form in her throat.

"We're breaking up." Elijah always knew what she was going to say before she even said it. It was something Claudia normally admired, but also despised at times like this.

The girl nodded solemnly. She felt absolutely terrible for making this decision, but ultimately knew it was what's best for her, no matter how painstaking it was. "I love you Elijah, I really do, but it's not enough. I still think about Damon all the time, even though I know he's probably an old man, or dead by now."

Elijah looked sad, but still didn't say a word, so Claudia continued. "I'm so sorry. I just don't think it's fair to you to stay with you when my heart isn't completely in it."

"Will you be staying in New Orleans?"

Claudia shook her head no. "I want to leave and travel the world, study medicine. I appreciate everything your siblings have done for me, but I must move on. Give them my thanks."

Claudia got up and turned away, intending to walk off without a second glance, but Elijah raced in front of her. "I have a preposition. Let's see each other in about a century. Gives you time to think about what you want, and I intend to win your heart by any means necessary."

"A century is a long time, Elijah. Who's to say we will remember each other?"

"You're forgetting that we're vampires. We have all the time in the world, my dear." Elijah pressed his lips to Claudia's forehead before she vanished out of his life for a very, very, very long time.

-

CLAUDIA WOKE UP HASTILY, STARTLED AT the sudden memory that hadn't crossed her mind in years. She was suddenly reminded about how much she had hated herself for hurting Elijah and walking out of his life. Claudia sighed, promptly getting a headache from the memory, and turned to her right. Elijah lay next to her, shirtless, quietly snoring. His hair was perfectly messy, but he had a crease in his forehead, as if he were having a bad dream.

Out of the blue, Claudia heard her doorbell ring. She was utterly confused, as it was 9 in the morning and she hadn't made any plans. Careful as to not wake up a sleeping Elijah, Claudia got up out her bed and out a threw on a shirt and a pair of jeans before going downstairs.

"Who is it?" she said cautiously, hoping it wasn't someone dangerous. Granted, she hadn't made any enemies in her years, or a least any that were still alive, but you could never be too sure.

"Damon!" said the voice from the other side of the door. "Open up, Claud."

Fuck, Claudia thought. How does everyone keep finding out where I live?

Claudia opened the front door wide enough for Damon to come in, as she gave him a smile. Claudia hoped that he had came with news that her talking to Elena worked, or that Stefan was out of the tomb safely.