Chapter 5

Danielle's P.O.V.

I opened my eyes and sat up slowly. I realised three things: one, I was sore all over, especially my side; two, I was in a soft bed; and three, I wasn't dead, which was a nice surprise. I jumped out of the bed and looked out the window.

"Where on earth am I?" I mumbled to myself. The windows were lined with frost and outside was a winter wonderland. Matt and I occasionally go on trips with my parents, but I've never been here before. Wait, Matt! I remembered the look he gave me before I left him. I felt warm tears trail down my cheeks. I sat down under the window and sobbed. I left him, my best friend, to that creature. I sobbed harder. A while later, I dried my tears and walked to the door and slowly opened it. I peeked my head out the door, the rest of my body following. I 'borrowed' a jacket I saw lying around and opened the door outside. The cold hit me like a slap on the face. It was almost dark, the remaining light from day slowly slipping away. I walked away from the little cottage house deep into the woods that surrounded it. I stopped in my tracks when I heard a voice, barely louder than a whisper.

"Hello?" I called out.

'It hurts," the voice said a little louder, 'Please help me, it hurts so much.' The voice started sobbing loudly. My eyes widened, it was Matt.

'Matt, can you hear me?' I thought to him. He didn't answer immediately and I was worried he couldn't.

'Yeah, I hear you,' He replied quietly. I sighed, at least he's still alive. Then fear struck my heart, he was in so much pain, and what would happen to me if that thing found me. I mentally scolded myself for being so selfish. I took a deep breath.

'Where are you?' I asked hesitantly. I could almost hear him thinking.

'I don't know, all I know is that I'm in a weird lab with a messed up guy who calls himself a scientist.' He replied. 'Oh crud, he's coming, I can't take much more of this. Please help me Danielle, I need you.' He begged. It was unnerving to hear Matt like this. I made up my mind.

'I'll be there soon,' I replied without hesitation. I could practically see him smiling, until I heard him scream in agony and the connection shattered. I felt anger bubbling in my veins. I walked deeper into the woods. It was time to attempt something I promised I wouldn't. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes. When they opened, they were an electric blue swirling with power. I raised my hand slowly and the ground bent to my will. I stopped. I don't know if I can do this. My resolve started fading. I took another deep breath and did the same but held it longer. I smiled to myself, this might work after all.