•°Chapter 0- Epilogue- Before We Began°•

“C’mon, over here!”

“Nooo, wait up!”

“Hahaha! Your tail’s so small, you can barely swim!”

“Hey, wait!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Talen reached his hand up over the surface, his eyes sparkling in pure amazement. He reached his other hand up and felt the wind against his webbed hands. He smiled. Not far away, he saw a darker pair of hands stick themselves into the water. They weren’t webbed, which confused Talen. He reached one of his hands up farther, the scales on his elbow barely reaching the water tension. He waved.

And the other hands waved back.

•°∆~~~∆°•

He had guessed it was a diver, or just someone who wanted to prank him. Because he swore the hands that stuck out of the water while he was boating were.. webbed. Light green webs connecting five extremely pale fingers. He paid it no mind and went back to the book he was reading.

“The merfairy is the most rare breed among the merpeople. They are hunted by their own species because of how valuable their scales and fins are. But the most valuable part of them is their hair. Their hair contains a certain chemical that helps heal cuts and wounds in mere seconds. Even their blood is less valuable than their hair.

If they’re not already dead, or on the run from the hunter breed, they can normally be found working as healers for the wounded- or what we call ‘nurses’.”

Dane looked over at the other page to see the picture of the most beautiful thing he had ever laid his eyes on. The wing-like fins and the fin-like ears. He never thought he would be able to see such beauty in person.

•°∆~~~∆°•

Humans. They interested Talen. He wanted to know how their minds worked.. Did they work just like merpeoples did? Or did they work differently? The books he kept secret from his mother and father held all sorts of information about them. But what interested him the most were the small books that seemed to be for the females of the species..

He placed the books in front of his pet giant clam, who took the books and held them in its mouth. He smiled and pet his clam, picking it up with ease and making his way out of his parent’s den. He was moving out. Finally.

As he made his way to the newly purchased den of his, he began to think. The tan fingers that wigged “hello” from above the waters. A human had spotted him. If it wasn't for the murky waters, he would have been seen from the tips of his fingers, down to the tips of his main fins. He would have ratted his whole species out to the humans. But- for a reason even he couldn’t figure out- he didn’t care. He was so happy a human had waved at him. He wondered if the human was suspicious of him. He wondered if..

If the human would have killed him if they could see his tail..

•°∆~~~∆°•

I know it’s super short, most of my chapters will be pretty short. Anyway, I really hope I don’t end up abandoning this, I really enjoyed writing the epilogue of this. Enjoy the rest of the book, beauties!

                         -Jay ♡