[10] Best friend moments are always golden.

As soon as Miles dropped us off at her house, Shelby gave him a goodbye kiss. "Tomorrow, don't forget! We need a ride to the party. You're going too right?"

"Yeah," He nodded.

"Whose party is this?" I voiced out my curiosity.

"I actually don't know," He shrugged. "But my friend, Jace, knows him. He's the new kid on the block and is throwing a party as some sort of an introduction of himself. Cool right?" He smiled a bit.

"Yeah," I laughed.

"Whatever, when you two are done with your lame conversation, I need you to come to my bedroom Tyler. We both know you're a hopeless case and I need to help you actually look good tomorrow night." She said, turning her back to us and waving her hand dismissively as she walked into the house.

"Hey," My eyes widened slightly as Miles put his fingers under my chin and turned my face to him. "Don't mind her words."

I shook my head with a small smile of reassurance. "No, it's okay. I'm not upset."

I actually meant it. I was used to it to the point where I wasn't even phased anymore. To a certain extent, it was as though I had somewhat become apathetic towards it.

"You are coming tomorrow right? You're not going to stand me up?" His deep voice sent chills down my spine as his eyes bored into mine.

"Yeah," I nodded, my eyebrows furrowing slightly at his words. "Um, stand you up? What do you mean?"

"Although I'm going there as Shelby's date, I'm actually looking forward to seeing you. I don't think I'd enjoy myself as much if you didn't show up." His gaze was so intense that I could feel my insides turn into lava.

Is this how friends look at each other?

Well, he could've meant it as a friend because we all know Shelby's company isn't the best at times. So maybe he just needed someone there that he could hang out with.

Yes. That seems more likely.

"I, I uh... have to go." I stammered, suddenly feeling conscious of myself.

I turned around and hurriedly made my way into Shelby's house, trying my best to ignore the fact that Miles was laughing softly at my reaction. I really don't know what he's playing at. A part of me thinks that he's blatantly showing interest in me - interest that I wouldn't have a problem reciprocating... if only he wasn't with my best friend.

Nonetheless, I don't trust myself, not when I'm around him. I'm scared that I won't be able to contain the feelings I have for him. If he were to ever make a move on me, it'd be over for me for sure.

As soon as I got inside, I heard his car take off.

"Hi Mrs. White." I greeted Shelby's mom and she turned to smile at me before she stood up to give me a hug.

"Tyler." She squeezed me a bit, unintentionally reminding me that I haven't felt a mother's hug in almost six years. "How are you doing, honey?"

"I'm good thanks and yourself?"

"Good," She held me out at arms length with a grin. "Still haven't changed much." She referred to my tomboy look. "I used to think it was just a phase." She shook her head and smiled at her silliness. "I'm making dinner, sweety, so you can make your way up to Shelby's room."

"Okay," I turned and made my way upstairs. Just like every time I come here, I take a look at the family photos they have on the wall. But pictures can be deceiving... the happy family depicted here is not the same family I've come to know over the years that Shelby and I have been best friends.