Prologue

1:57 PM \\ 15/4/2071

My wristwatch reads as I intensely stare into it, time slows to a near halt as I await for 3:00. My heart rate has accelerated two fold since I woke up this morning, in fear and in anticipation of this moment. This moment that I have waited over a year for, I look down at the switch in the middle of my work space, waiting to engage.

I pace around my office, looking at the blue Florida ocean as it peacefully tides onto the white sands below my house. To my right I see the rocket silo: it's hidden by a small sandy hill covered by ice plants. It's location is slowly being uncovered as steam rolls out from the top from the propellant being filled.

The office is tucked away from the rest of the house, which is perfect vantage of the beach, but as well as a hiding spot for a rocket. I decide to look back down at my wristwatch, 2:00 it reads.

"We are at the one hour mark, sir." Mark, my personal A.I. service, tells me. I choose not to give him a moving body, but he exists within the frame of my office.

"Thank you Christine." I say to him.

"Might I ask what this operation is for, Mr. Nyco?" He asks over the speaker system.

I chuckle as I pace the room, he only responds to voice as I chose not to give him vision for my own security purposes.

"What's so funny, sir?" He asks.

"Nothing, but I cannot tell you the purpose of this operation." I say, I make it back to my front desk and read the blueprints that are displayed on the front monitor. "All you need to do is make sure everything is go for launch, all systems and telemetry are ready, as well as sufficient propellant."

"Okay, I will do that sir." He says, but he isn't finished speaking. "So far, everything looks optimal for launch."

"Thank you Mark." I say as I walk towards the door.

"Do you want me to lock everything as you leave, Mr. Nyco?" He asks me.

"Please." I say as I open the door to leave the office, I want to grab a quick snack from the kitchen upstairs.

I hear the deadbolt lock behind me along with another, firmer, lock slam in the lock position as I walk up the stairs towards the kitchen. The dark long stairway eventually gives light to the main living area, and the large kitchen. I go to the fridge to grab a snack.

"What kind of secret stuff is going on in that lab of yours down there?" I hear to the left of me, there sits my wife on the couch. She teases to me, but at first I thought she was genuinely suspicious.

You're paranoid, Finn. Relax.

"Only the most secret things the government can offer a genius like me can do." I sarcastically joke, I grab a candy bar from the fridge.

She gets up and walks over to me, "Great brain food choice there, hon." She chuckles and kisses me on the forehead.

I smile, "I was feeling sugar."

"Well, get back at it brain child." She chuckles, and playfully shoves me towards the hallway.

"I'll be done by four today, so the rest of the night is free." I tell her, smiling.

"Great to know, date night?" She asks.

I chuckle, "You read my mind." I give her a kiss and slowly walk away.

"One day, I wanna see what goes on in that little lab of yours." She says, I feel flush in color as I turn back around.

I try and play it off, but it's really hard to do. She doesn't know that I was laid off over a year ago, or that I've just been pulling from my savings account to make it by, or my plan in less than an hour.