⊵ Encounter

(A/N): Thank you so much to everyone who has came back to continue reading my work and support me! Your comments and support mean the world to me, really ♡. I want to show my thanks to all of you, so I'm going to be dedicating every chapter to someone :)

Special first dedication to @the_anarchist_ who's has stuck with me all this time and has really helped motivated me to continue writing!~

Copyright © 2019 They Call Him Alpha

⊵ Encounter

Her hand was open, outstretched, and waiting for me-and yet I couldn't bring myself to reach out and take it. Two tall figures, remaining in the shadows and from my view, flanked her on both sides. Who was she-who were they? This woman and her shadows. But my real worry were the large shadows that were further behind, obscured by the trees. Some of them seemed to be still while others seemed to pace around. Even trying to strain my eyes, I couldn't make anything out except their undeniably large size. Dear God, this forest woman had brought a pack of bears with her.

Without warning, two deer burst from the shadows and quickly galloped past us into the trees, barely managing to miss kicking my head with their hooves. Some squirrels and smaller critters hastily scampered across the forest floor. The echoes of the cries of birds could be heard as they abandoned the trees and ascended into the sky. What had spooked them? Whatever it was, all the animals seemed to be running away from the direction the woman and her shadows had stepped out of. What even was a half-dressed woman doing in the woods? I guess the same could be asked of me.

She stomped towards me, closing the distance. Now, from what little light that managed to trickle through the leaves above us, I could make out more of her. She had a small, oval face graced with delicate features framed by her dark curls. I could've mistaken her for a doll if it wasn't for the dirt and dried blood that was smeared across her left cheek. And the way she stood and talked, the power and rawness that radiated from her told me she was no fragile doll. She didn't look much older than me, and yet I saw no youth in her eyes.

"I don't have time for this, not while under attack," she muttered to herself. Under attack? I didn't even have time to process her words before she took me by my collar and lifted me up. I yelped in surprise at her strength and force as the cloth of my shirt tightened painfully around my neck.

"Ashe," a male voice spoke, seeming to belong to one of the figures in the shadows, "The alert, we have to get moving."

An alert and an attack? Something was very wrong then. Something that had the animals frightened and scattering about.

The woman-Ashe-still gripping my collar, shot a stern look at the figure behind her, "I know." The steel in her voice was sharp to make me flinch. Turning back to me, she brought me closer, face-to-face. I could smell the forest on her and the faint metallic scent of blood. I trembled, she looked as if she could swallow me whole. Her eyes scanned my whole face, searching for something. I willed myself to not sweat and shake so much, but the terror building in my chest was too great.

"You're her, aren't you," she said, in a way that made it hard for me to tell if she was asking me a question or confirming it to herself. "The childhood friend,"

"Childhood friend?" I echoed in a whisper. Did she know Blake or at least about him? How would this half-naked girl of the forest know Blake? Was he really here holed up in this terrible place? What sort of thing was he mixed up in?