Part 36 ~ Confrontation

"This way." He stretches out his arm and motions for me to go ahead of him.

"Why do I have to go first?"

"So I can keep an eye on you."

I walk ahead of him some and stop then turn around and look at him. "You don't have to do that."

He walks toward me and rests one of his hands on my shoulder. "Yes, I do." he turns me back around and presses his fist lightly against the small of my back "Now hush and let's go."

"O-okay! I'm going." I force my short legs to begin walking down the gravel path.

He chuckles. "Can't you go any faster?"

"I-I'm trying! You know I have short legs. I can't keep up with your pace."

"Whatever you say."

"So, uh how far is it from here?"

"About a mile and a half."

"He lives so far away. Why?"

"Ah, " Chris grabs my arm and pulls me to the left of him and we continue down another gravel path." What do you think? Privacy."

"What does he live in?"

"A mansion."

"So, he lives in an enormous place like that, all by himself?"

"Well, no. He has maids, butlers, advisors that live there also. Why are you asking me all of this?"

"Cause I'm curious."

"Well, when we get there you can ask him all the questions you want Miss, 'I need to ask a question every 5 seconds'."

"Hey!" I turn back and glare at him annoyed.

"What?" He smiles "It's fun to annoy you."

"Well, it's not fun for me!"

Chris gets closer and leans down, his hot breath blowing against my ear. He speaks in a low, sultry tone. "Oh, well."

I jump forward slightly in surprise "Stop that." My cheeks turn red and I cover them with my hands.

He speaks in an amused tone, "Stop what?"

"That, teasing me."

"I'm not stopping something that I enjoy doing." He puts his hand on my head and messes up my hair. "And besides, if I wanted to really 'tease' you, that is not the way I'd be doing it."

"You make me want to crawl in a hole and disappear."

He snorts, "You're so dramatic."

I fold my arms and grumble under my breath, "And you're so cruel."

"Indeed I am. But if I really bothered you, you wouldn't be asking me to stay with you. Now would you?"

"Well, not exactly. It's just safer for me to go with you. So, I have to suck it up and deal with you and your torture."

He smirks "Okay princess."

I roll my eyes and change the subject "so uh, how much farther do we have to walk?"

He folds his arms and looks up at the bright blue cloud-filled sky, "Probably 30 more minutes."

"Why not just use your 'gotta go fast' power and get us there a lot faster?"

Chris laughs and looks at me, slightly amused. "I can. But won't."

"Why?" I raise my eyebrow and question him.

"It's nicer than using my speed. I use it all the time. It gets old."

"What? How could that get boring?"

"It just does. Like most things, It loses its fun overtime."

"Yeah but-"

Chris forcefully pulls me to him and roll his eyes. "You need to watch where you're going."

I look beside me and see a small tree stump, that I would've possibly tripped over. "But that's just a small stump. I-I would have seen it."

He chuckles and rubs my head, messing up my hair, "No you wouldn't have. I know you. You trip over air, Abigail. So you definitely would have fallen and messed up that pretty face of yours."

"I'm not that bad, am I?"

"Yes, yes you are."

I ignore the embarrassment that's slowly creeping up and keep my eyes focused on the road.

"How much farther now?"

"Turn here." Chris pushes against my shoulders and guides me down a different path. "This is one of the paths to the house."

"He has more than one?"

"Yes."

"What if my mind draws a blank and I can't speak if I see him."

"You'll be fine." He smiles, "but if that does happen, I'll do the talking for you."

I reassure myself, "I got this."

He looks at me and playfully rolls his hazel eyes. "If you say so."

As the mansion come into view, I begin to get nervous. I hope this all doesn't end badly. I want him to stay.