Chapter 5 | Vaela

Dear Pen Pal,

Why won't you tell me who you are? You know who I am. It's only fair. Who cares about the rules, it's not like the teachers read these letters anyway. They're too lazy.

Anyway, yep, I'm number 16. I'm surprised you remembered. Also, it's okay that you like basketball more than socc- WHAT AM I SAYING? Soccer is superier to basketball and I can't believe someone would ever like basketball more. TAKE THAT BACK

(Don't worry I'm not actually mad at you, how can I be when your favorite number is me?) My favorite number is 21, 'cause when I'm 21 I'll be able to drink. Don't juge.

You said that you liked writing. Well, I like reading (kind of) so will you let me read something you've written? I'm curious (see, I fixed it).

Anyway, this week the teacher told me to tell you somthing about my family. We're Mexican. I mean, you probably already knew that, but you'd be surprised at what I get asked sometime. Like why do people think I would know how to skin a deer? Do actual Native American's even know how to do that? Another thing I guess, is that I have a brother.

What about you? Maybe this will help me figur out who you are ;)

P.S. Thanks for the spelling corections. See, I spelled "spelling" right.

~~~

F I V E
"Bitch, I swear, if you don't tell him I will." Isa snapped as she leaned back on the couch. She had come over a few hours ago to do homework but it turned into a bout of me complaining and worrying over Carlos.

I shot her a look. "No you won't." I said confidently.

She growled. "Okay fine, I would never do that to you. But girl, I'm so done hearing you whine about him! When have you ever been the type to get all obsessive over a guy? You're better than that! Honey, so he forgets you. Well, it was expected, wasn't it? He didn't even know who you were."

I blinked, taken aback. I guess she's right...and hey! I'm not obsessing over a guy! I just think about him a lot!

Fuck.

"But now you have a whole new opportunity to let him know the real you! Start fresh and all that. You've changed since middle school, right? What's stopping you from getting to know him? The guy already asked for your number." Isa winked at me and wiggled her eyebrows.

I groaned as I turned red. "For the bajillionth time, Isa. It wasn't like that." I leaned back against the couch, sticking my hand in a bowl of chips. Stress eating for the win.

Isa shrugged. "How do you know? It's textbook. Ask a girl for help while asking for their number. Besides, Carlos doesn't seem like the direct, player type." She batted my hand away as I reached for more chips. "Slow down, you're going to be twice as heavy after this if you keep going at that pace."

Ignoring her comment and stealing a chip anyway, I shook my head. "No, Carlos isn't a player. He's more like your friendly, sensitive boy-next-door, you know?"

Isa smirked at me. "Yeah, you wouldn't like a player." She then lifted a hand up to her mouth and coughed. "Whipped." She coughed again and I glared at her.

"Stop it." I snapped.

She pouted at me. "But you guys need to be together. Otherwise the fans will be disa-" She snapped her mouth shut and stared at me with wide eyes. "Nothing."